Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source for caligae
I've been looking at older threads to find sources for custom made caligae, but either these suppliers are no longer in business, or the pictures/links no longer work.

Anybody knows where to find high quality repros (I'm looking for something that is actually based on archaeological finds)? I noticed Martin Moser is doing fantastic work, but does he actually produce them for sale? Anybody else besides him?

Thanks for any input!
Danny Deschenes
Well, Martin Moser did take some commisions in the past.

I also found the Ancient Empire reproductions (AER) caligae, as sold by fellow RAT member Christian Koepfer quite good, but these are of course not custom made. Sarah Juniper also makes good shoes.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes agree Sarah Juniper makes fine shoes at a very reasonable price.
I have a pair from her, with which I am very happy with.
Another supplier is:
http://www.cohors.de/seiten/caliga.html

Martin
Seen these?
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index...20a&page=3
Thanks guys for the input! I'll look into these.
Danny Deschenes
Hi Quintus,

I think you should try and contact Matt Lukes here on RAT. He also made a few pairs of Mainz caligae as I remember and he is located in Canada, just as you are, if I'm correct.
I still do take on commissioned work, but would not be able to produce anything for you before next year I'm afraid. That is for 2 reasons, the obvious one being that I have too many things to complete on the list as it is. The other one is that because of further research I have done I need to revise the patterns I have posted e.g. here on RAT on a number of details to make the end result look more like what the finds we know would have looked like IMHO.
Quote:I think you should try and contact Matt Lukes here on RAT. He also made a few pairs of Mainz caligae as I remember and he is located in Canada, just as you are, if I'm correct.

Sure. Matt Lukes made me a pair of Mainz caligae in early 2008 and they are simply perfect. They are still in use on a very regular basis, survived several long distance marches, that is over several hundreds of km. Big Grin But as far as I know Matt also have a very long waiting time, but worth it for sure.
ALA I BATAVORUM
avete omnes

Caligae of armamentaria are very good quality and there are some very accurate reproduction

valete Omnes
PierPaolo siercovich
Robin Brown of rigorevali's caligae are also very good quality, They certainly last at least as my pair of them have lasted me for 3 years.

http://rigorevali.co.uk/
Conor Boyle

Legio XX VV (Legion ireland)
Thanks guys!

I've already contacted Matt Lukes, and yes I found out that he's making caligae. I think it does solve my problem. Waiting time is not an issue, as I'm looking at 2-3 years to get all my kit together.
Danny Deschenes