Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on helmet liner or skull cap?
My old Gallic G helmet came with this nice liner that was tailored to the helmet, and keeps the shape of the helmet even when taken out. It is well padded which creates a comfortable and snug fit when the helmet is worn.

My new Gallic A AH6306N is another story. I have as of now cut up a few old shirts and made a liner, which while making the helmet a better fit, still does not make it comfortable, only a little bit more so than wearing it without the homemade liner. Even though my Gallic G is much heavier than the Gallic A, it feels a world of the difference because of the nice cushy liner.

Any tips of how to make a good liner (does anyone sew a pillow like liner and stuff the interior with cotton?) , or where to buy a liner you recommend? Thanks
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Why don't you try a wool cap(the wintervariant) like in ww2 the jeepcap. We at Corbvlo use the pterygan cap it is felt and is a perfect helmet liner.
vale
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I use felt matt...make a cap out of felt. I use a maltese cross as a pattern, and sew the tips of the corners together. Use as many layers of felt as required.

Pic of the cross: http://www.thenewearthworks.com/Articles...cross.aspx

Simple, and it works well.

Legion: TBD
There is a kind of wool or wool blend moving blanket, and a similar "emergency blanket". Both are made from felt. I bought one of the pictured needle felting tools used by craft workers to stick felt flowers on pillows and such. Cut layers of the felt blanket, and use the tool to stick layers together. Not necessary to entirely connect them, just pick a point about every inch or so, and you'll find that the material makes very good padding.

It's smart to put linen or something smooth on the side next to your skin, though, and don't try to punch the needles through the linen. You'll break them, and they're not cheap.

Briefly, how it works is the needles have little barbs facing upwards. When you stick the needle (or needles, depending on the model) through layers of felt, the barbs pick up fibers from lower layers and mixes them into the upper layers, with several punches down (the pictured model has a spring action) in a given area, moving the tool slightly, you can make a thicker piece of felt. Just an observation.

Is is authentic? No, they didn't have Hobby Craft stores they could get these high-carbon steel and plastic tools, nor could they go to Harbor Freight and get a stretcher-sized blanket for five dollars (which will make a dozen helmet liners, of course). I use that system anyway, though, because it's functional, cheap, and who cares what's between my helmet and skull anyway?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I second your opinion on the invisible, David. I personally hava subarmalis (shoulderpads) wich are made off campingsleepingmat but it works and are not seen.
vale
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Do you know the harbor freight item number, David? Is that wool felt decent enough for subarmalis padding use?
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
On that note...my latest subarmalis padding is made from a U-Haul moving blanket...covered in linen but it is very comfy.

Ok I'll definitely try one of your guy's suggestions, most likely the felt, but I'll see what else I come across at the store. I have no problem using "non-traditional" materials, if they are unseen.

The Roman's certainly didn't have steel like we have, or perfectly symmetrical and identical helmets, if anyone wants to go the 'accurate' route. Certainly none of the original Gallic A's look overly similar really (I personally think the Deepeeka Gallic A's neckguard is way to small compared to the original it is based from, despite it being said to be one of the most accurate helmets available)
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Don't forget Matt that the samples that survive of a given helmet type probably dont' show all of the variation within that style of helmet. So neck guard sizes or cheek piece differences are ok.

Quote:Do you know the harbor freight item number, David?
Not listed on their site at this time. Call the local store and see if they have them on the shelf with the other blankets. (The red wool blend blankets are pretty nice. The grey ones are a little loose-woven for constructing clothing, but I have a paenula from one that's good enough for now.

I did find this, but that's a lot of felt:
http://www.moverssupplies.com/MOVING-BLA...THE-DOZEN/

and this:
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Prot...ad?id=2670

Many of the self-storage places around here have them, too. I found mine beside the road, perhaps it blew out of someone's truck. Finders, keepers.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making my own Helmet - thoughts, ideas, tips???? sillious saurus 19 4,732 03-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Last Post: jsantell
  Liner for Intercisa helmet Franklin 2 1,678 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Franklin
  Gluing liner into Helmet Tiberius 1 1,215 06-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius