Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounted Archery Skill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b51DCY8Gn...grec_index

Interesting clip...shame I can't understand what the rider is saying!

Any translators about?

(And I know it's Korean...not many Scythians or Parthians doing this these days!)

(Although I am sure someone will find a clip to prove me wrong...)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Great video!

Althoug i think the riders have an ''easy job'' now they still use the edge of the arena.
I find a lot of mounted archery movies on the internet where the horses are:
trained to do their act..like riding away from the group and turn a cirkel and ''wham'' the rider shoots his/arrow and the horse hobbles to his start/ending point.
Or even in a straight line and then shoots multiple arrows in a short time.

Then i ask myself whats the fun in that? whats the use of it?

We train ( yes because we still have to learn a lot) in a pre-formed track in the arena.
Still i look forward to train in the open field soon and ride and steer the horses by legs and seat.

The shooting in this movie is marvelous though!!
Olga van Lunsen
Yes I like the slow-mo replays, and having two archers side by side is interesting. Good video.

Moi - I have begun to work on a Scyth horse archer impression, hopefully for a show next year. I will have to put up some photos etc as and when it progresses. I am currently in the process of doing the decoration for the riding coat, which equals lots of metal plaques = heavy and shiny but very nice! One of the hardest parts will be the decorative horse tack, but I will enjoy making it Smile

Quote:Or even in a straight line and then shoots multiple arrows in a short time.
Yes this is the way the modern Horseback Archery Association do it, in a straight line between two ropes! Which I think looses the fun, you know the horse will keep going in that direction so it is less about the horse and more about the archery. A shame I think.

When you are in an open field/arena the horse can choose to vear away in another direction if you do not ride it well enough, so then it does become more of a test of control and skill for both rider and horse.
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
Quote:Moi - I have begun to work on a Scyth horse archer impression, hopefully for a show next year. I will have to put up some photos etc as and when it progresses. I am currently in the process of doing the decoration for the riding coat, which equals lots of metal plaques = heavy and shiny but very nice! One of the hardest parts will be the decorative horse tack, but I will enjoy making it Smile

Well, that sounds cool! Certainly looking forward to the picture, Amy! Keep up the good work Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Look forward to seeing that Amy, thanks for the info. Big Grin

The straight line horse-can't-go-anywhere-else approach of the sports horse archery is why I put this clip up, although they are certainly using the boundary of the school to keep the horse straight.

What I can't see, despite slower slo-mo are what the archer's legs are doing to guide the horse and of course seeing his posture/hips in the saddle is impossible because of his costume.

There is a very good clip of horse archers "in the open" a film and you can see the riders turning their knees into the horse to keep it straight. I think it was Mongol but I haven't found the bit I want yet (in a rather long and boring film :wink: )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:What I can't see, despite slower slo-mo are what the archer's legs are doing to guide the horse and of course seeing his posture/hips in the saddle is impossible because of his costume.

Yes that is rather annoying, and sometimes when watching someone ride it can be almost impossible to see some of their movements if the horse is very sensitive and the rider is just tightening muscles etc, becuase the movements are so slight.

Oh well!

Quote:Look forward to seeing that Amy, thanks for the info.

Well as soon as I finish my clothing I will be able to start focusing on the horse, hopefully by September I should have made some significant progress. 8)
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net