Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two metals corrosion
There is a know fenomenon of corossion developing where objects of DIFFERENT metals touch each other (I dont know the english term).

In my Gladius, as in many others, there is a small brass plate covering the front of the guard, touching the steel blade. And I cant stop the rust!

Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

In theory, I could enlarge the hole in the plate, so it will be JUST larger than the blade. But I cant believe the original swords where made with such accuracy. The military swordsmith probably just banged the plate into place.
Regards, Yuv.
Quote:There is a know fenomenon of corossion developing where objects of DIFFERENT metals touch each other (I dont know the english term).

Bimetallic corrosion – always a problem with lorica segmentata from the Roman period onwards (and Landrovers in more recent years).

Quote:In my Gladius, as in many others, there is a small brass plate covering the front of the guard, touching the steel blade. And I cant stop the rust!

Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

In theory, I could enlarge the hole in the plate, so it will be JUST larger than the blade. But I cant believe the original swords where made with such accuracy. The military swordsmith probably just banged the plate into place.

The only way of limiting it is keeping the junction between the two metals clean and dry. The Romans had no solution to it so you will just have to tolerate it, I'm afraid.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The industry uses what's called a "sacrificial anode". You need a metal that is more reactive than iron, such as magnesium, to contact the blade. Then the magnesium corrodes instead of the iron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Discard the plate completely - there is plenty of evidence to suggest that not all swords had this plate.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Working bronze, and other metals! Gaius Julius Caesar 37 7,316 06-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar