Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hr-replikate Vindonissa eagle pendant - a question
[Image: nr0219_norm.jpg]

http://www.hr-replikate.de/katalog/indep...image=0219

This is described as "Pendant of a military belt, tinned brass. From the fort at Windisch (VINDONISSA), Switzerland. Second half of 1st century AD", the same way as apron terminals in the catalogue.

Is this an apron terminal? Does anyone know anything about this find? Its context and classification? It doesn't look like any apron terminal I've ever seen, more like some part of a baldric or cavalry harness...
The only resemblance with terminal apron is the bottom
Holgar assured me they were apron terminals!
I have no reason to doubt him.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This just means it is his honestly held opinion. But opinion is just that - an opinion. I'd like to know what he is basing it on. Would be nice to at least know in what context this was found. Was it among belt elements? Was it attached to a fragment of a belt? Does anyone know anything more about it?
Well, it may be his opinion, but he is one ofthe most authentic craftsment out there, so I tend to trust his opinion.
But I too like to know what the context of finds are.
Why don't you ask him? Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Trying to cross-source it Smile
I tend to be cautious in case of things that look odd. If I am to answer a lot of questions about my apron terminal, I want something more solid than "because the craftsman said so" Smile
Well, I was curious too, so I asked him, as I thought they were possibly strap stiffeners...he assured me they were terminals.
I too have plans to use them....as terminals.
I think the fact they were found at an infantry fort is telling?
However, I still wonder about the holes all the way down the sides, and in the lunar terminal..... Cool
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The holes are (a guess) either for riveting, or (as those side cut outs would imply) sewing this thing to a leather strap.

Yes, infantry fort is telling, but there's a lot of other uses this thing could be put to - sword baldric terminals being the most obvious. I've never seen an apron terminal shaped like this so I'm seeking a second opinion.
Hmmm, 1cent baldric terminal.....I would love to see evidence for these! Smile
I fully understand you wanting a second opinion.
However, there are other terminals that are solid as opposed to hinged, if that is what you mean.
I interpret them as possibly belonging to a 1st Coh soldier, or possibly an aquilifer.
But thats just me... 8-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:However, there are other terminals that are solid as opposed to hinged, if that is what you mean.

Similar size and level of ornamentation?
No....but then I have not seen baldric terminals from the 1st cent
I do have a belt with the tounge terminating in a pendant, but it is small and hinged.
I would be just as curious as you to see any evidence for this.
However, it does resemble an apron terminl more than anything else...
just a unique one, which is what facinated me.
Sorry I could not help. Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I think the fact they were found at an infantry fort is telling?

Not really. Hundreds of finds listed in the Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa are classified as cavalry items.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
So you have this items classification?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=ht...9,r:21,s:0

This looks strangely familiar....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
IMO this find is too big to be an apron fitting. nearly 9cm long by 3cm wide.

it could even be a fitting from an item of furniture or a military box or chest. My German is not great, but will consult the catalogue for the context.
Quote:So you have this items classification?

It is listed with "Verteidigungswaffen, Knopfschliessen und Riemenschurzteile," that is, with apron parts. I will need to try and check the referred works to see why, since the item is highly unusual for an apron terminal.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pendant pteruges? richard robinson 0 926 06-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Warthog tusk pendant WIP MDF 13 3,586 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Matthew Corbin