Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warrior of Quadi AD 374/5
Few months ago I drew a picture of Quadic warrior (Im not artist, but I always try to do it as good as I can). I would like to post it here because you guys can correct me if there are some historical mistakes which I can avoid in the future!

This guy should be quite rich and well equipped warrior. He has Roman chainmail and Roman sword. In AD 374 there was a great raid to Pannonia, so this could be easily obtained as a loot!

Im not sure about buckle! This one i tried to do according to finds from Krakovany-Stráže in Slovakia. However, Im not sure if i drew it correctly, isn't it too large?

[Image: warriorofquadi.jpg]
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
I don't wish to be critical but the brooch in his cloak should be the other way around, for the curve of the brooch when at the bottom holds the material of the cloak or whatever other dress that is worn.
Also the ring on the brooch is where when two are worn a chain hanges down from it to the other one.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I don't wish to be critical but the brooch in his cloak should be the other way around, for the curve of the brooch when at the bottom holds the material of the cloak or whatever other dress that is worn.
Also the ring on the brooch is where when two are worn a chain hanges down from it to the other one.

Reason why I posted it here is that i wish you to be critical, so please be critical even if you dont want. Smile

Yes I thought that this is not very good. Sad But I realised that too late, when it was done! This cloak and brooch is maybe the main problem of this picture.

Thank you for your reply, Im glad you noticed this!
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Its a bloody nice drawing Martin, wish my work was that nice!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Nice drawing indeed. Nothing wrong with it.

I agree with Brian Stobbs about the fibula. Secondly I would say the sword seems to be more broad and short (like the earlier mainz gladius) instead of the later 'spatha' models. But as this is a drawing, I find this hard to say. Otherwise I wouldn't have much suggestions. The belt and buckle are okay this way, for sure.
ALA I BATAVORUM
And I'd have thought that the scabbard should be on the other side and should either be suspended from a thin baldric or on a thin waist belt, not suspended on straps hanging from the wide belt You do find Scandinavian examples of scabbards suspened from side mounted rings, but they don't have sliders on the scabbard as well.

Not sure about the crossgartering on the trousers?

Excellent painting though.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thank you for your comments! Yes that sword (and scabbard) perhaps should be longer.

To be honest, at the time when I drew this, I did not care very much about the belt for scabbard. I was lazy to search evidence and i just inspired myself a bit by this picture of Angus McBride. It is a bit small here, but you can see that scabbard quite clearly I think.

Quote:And I'd have thought that the scabbard should be on the other side...

I have to admit I dont remember if I saw some picture with scabbard in the right side or something, but I probably wanted to draw sword completely visible considering the possition of body.

I appreciate your comments, thank you! Next time I will try to do drawing more accurate (as accurate as possible).
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Quote:I was lazy to search evidence and i just inspired myself a bit by this picture of Angus McBride.
Not sure whether your site was hacked, but the link does not show an image. Just a piece of text about a stolen article? Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Confusedhock: When I tryied it (right after I posted my message), it worked. I have edited that post with new link I hope it works. Anyway, I think it is a well known picture.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Great illustration, Martin!

Hopefully we can see more of your work!
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
I do not think I am that good, but if you wish, maybe yes. However, I have just taken up painting and when I finish my drawings for my (amateur) work about Roman army in the territory of Slovakia (AD 171 - 180)I will try to practice practice and practice again. Painting is new for me so I am not very keen in that.

Thank you anyway, I am glad you like my drawing. I hope I will get far better, thought my main interest is still history/archeology.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Nice drawning. I would love more info about the shoes and leg wraps he is wearing?
Quote:Nice drawning. I would love more info about the shoes and leg wraps he is wearing?

Hello and thank you. Actually this picture was not drawn axactly according to some references or archeology... I inspired myself a lot by paintings of Angus McBride... I think I saw this kind of shoes on his picture in the Osprey book "Germanic warrior AD 236-568"

When I was posting this picture I was just curious what you will say. I am glad you find this picture quite good. Smile
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When were the Quadi Sarmaticized? childeric 3 4,289 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr