Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats wrong with this Caligae?
"Do you have a pattern for these?"

See Roman "Military Equiptment Bishop & Coulston" for the only plan that I know of from this particular boot I suspect the three images of Caligae on the page are originally from a Ludwig Lindenschmit? article, illustrated also in "Tracht und Bewaffnung des römischen Heeres während der Kaiserzeit 1882 Ludwig Lindenschmit" is a drawing of this very same Caligae in a very similar style to the above.... thats all I know off.

[attachment=5694]CaligiMainzdrawingLindenschmitt1stcenturyAD.jpg[/attachment]

Text

[attachment=5695]MainzCaligaetext.JPG[/attachment]

image source: "Tracht und Bewaffnung des römischen Heeres während der Kaiserzeit 1882 Ludwig Lindenschmit" plateXII
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:Martin.

I can't see any problem with having the caligae uppers made in one piece and then fitted to a sole, in fact that is evident in my drawing where I have shown the fold in tabs at the bottom end which are glued then pinned to the sole.

Them the inside of the sole is filled to the level of the tabs and it's insole glued in ontop however the method that you suggest means that the back of the caliga has to be stitched all the way up from the sole, where as the type I show has a more sustantial heel all together with its double cross stitch holding the footwear more secure to the foot.

I would like you to show the evidence that all caligae were made in the manner you suggest with the uppers being also part of the sole.

Hi Brian I dont know of any surviving originals that show your method of construction although I've no dought it would work, for myself I prefer to use methods as shown by the archeological record.
The backs of Caligae are indeed stiched all the way up even those that are more substantial in the heel area, though there are types of shoes where this isnt the case they are not generally recognised as "Caligae" (see the Allendale boot and its predecessors), none to my knowledge have a half seam.

My impression is Caligae are basically a form of Carbatina or one piece shoe albeit with extra soles, nailing and reinforcing in the heel added, something which is also seen in some surviving Carbatinas not generally considered as "Caligae".

Back to the Mainz Caligae in the first post.
I think the original has longer straps at the front which i will not replace in this one but will do a complete redesign for a new shoe, but here are some extra pics.

Toe laces fit well around the foot
[attachment=5752]Caligiconstructionfront.jpg[/attachment]

Heel, a little narrow should be broader.

[attachment=5753]Caligiconstructionheelsmall.jpg[/attachment]

Heel stitching. inside and outside.

[attachment=5754]Caligiconstructionheelstitchingsmall.jpg[/attachment]

Lacing up the heel is VVV form, but here is an alternative which I think may conform to the narrow cut arrangement on some of the Mainz caligae heels this is ZZZ form, its stiffer then V and may have been done originally with thin Rawhide perhaps kid or sheep.

[attachment=5755]Caligiconstructionheellacingsmall.jpg[/attachment]

Cuts left by Z lacing V is wider and grouped in pairs. scale: cuts about 3mm long

[attachment=5756]CaligiconstructionZheellacing.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Some slight adjistments resulted in this...

[attachment=5770]Caligiconstructionalteredheelsmall.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5771]Caligiconstructionalteredsidesmall.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5772]Caligiconstructionalteredsmall.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor