Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying a Helmet
I have a Deepeeka Helene that is too tight front and back, but has extra space on the sides. Any idea of how hard I can pound away at the sides to force front and back out a little?
I would think striking it with a hammer would only put dents in it. If you can't return it or just use it as art you might have to try taking it to a machine shop and see if they can dismantle it, cut and reweld or create some jig for a hydraulic press to squeeze it slowly. Either way trying to fix it will cost more than a new helmet.

Good luck
All you need is to use it as a chair....here is what you do.

First, take off the brow band, or it will FOR SURE snap!

Then, put the helmet on it's side...you will probably have to put something under it so the neckguard isn't what you are resting it on. I would use a piece of wood, or an anvil under the part of the helmet just above the ear cut-out. So with the helmet on it's side, with the bottom ear cut out (not the flange part, just above it on the helmet bowl) just resting on top of something solid, gently put some weight on it. What you can do from here is gentle "pushes" on it, so you are forcing the sides in toward each other.

I had to do this with my Gallic F...except I tried it with the brow guard on, and it snapped in the middle. But, it worked, and the helmet fits well now and looks much better Once you've smushed it from side-side, you may have to use some washers to put the brow guard back on since the helmet bowl will have changed shape.

Oh, and this didn't cost me anything. :wink:

Legion: TBD
How do you remove the brow guard? It appears riveted in. On another note, a guy at the local home improvement store suggested a bottle jack to stretch front and back, which accomplishes the same thing. I have given it a few tries tonight, and it seems as if it might work.
A drill, dremel, or perhaps even a cold chisel should let you demolish those rivets. Obviously you'll need new ones to reattach it afterwards, but that's just how rivets work.
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
I mostly have problems with a helmet being too tight at the sides. I put it side down on a carpeted floor, put my foot inside to hold it down, and gently pull, pull, pull, very gently, pull, pull, gently, pull. I try it on. Then I gently push, push, push, very gently push push.... Confusedmile:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I have heard that Deepeka helmets do break easily if bent or twisted etc to make a more comfortable fit...be carefull whatever you decide to do
I think its about time helmets were sold with sizes...collosal amounts on the market on the internet, but one does not know if its gonna fit till one tries it on, when it comes through the post its too late and then one has the hassle of sending it back/shipping costs etc....unless its custom made for the individual
Kevin
Kevin
Matt, what kind of heavy object did you use to squish the helmet? How many pounds are we talking about?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
HAHAHAHA, I used my buddy Anthony LMFAO!!!

Seriously, he's a big dude, but I think welterweights like you and I could generate enough force by pushing using our upper bodies and arms instead of just using gravity and mass.

Quote:I have heard that Deepeka helmets do break easily if bent or twisted etc to make a more comfortable fit...be carefull whatever you decide to do
I think its about time helmets were sold with sizes...collosal amounts on the market on the internet, but one does not know if its gonna fit till one tries it on, when it comes through the post its too late and then one has the hassle of sending it back/shipping costs etc....unless its custom made for the individual
Kevin

Well, part of the breakage issue is probably the type of metal, and a bit of quality control on the part of the Indian companies. You'll be hard pressed to have companies selling mass produced gear at the prices they are now that come in even a small, medium and large size. That means new stamp and dies need to be made...probably not going to happen due to the cost. Your best bet, is have your preferred retailer (I know Rusty Myers does this, probably Adrian Wink too) check the actual dimensions of the helmet in stock. If you provide your head size and length and width, they can check that against the helmet to see if it fits.

Otherwise you are going custom as you mentioned...

For sale...Deepeka Helmet Size ???
Tell me whats wrong wrong with putting a size in there.....ie 58cm or equivalent in inches
If its only one size then let people know what size it is
We part with a LOT of money for these items but rarely ask the size....are we mad?
Kevin
Kevin
Like I said, the retailers generally do (Find It Armoury, Soul of the Warrior, Armamentarium for example). But it's also up to the purchaser to research what it is they are buying, and ask the relevant questions.

Just break the cast iron brow guard and loose it, it's inferior quality. Making a new one from mild steel strip isn't all that hard. It can be done by cold hammering. I open my vise to the max, about 10 cm, and start hammering right in the middle, gently working in into a curve. Move the strip back and forth whilst doing this and the proper shape will come slowly. See to check regularly by holding the curved strip to the helmet and you can adjust the curve to the precise shape of the helmet bowl. If the curve is too strong anywhere, simply turn it around and hammer on the other side...Finally you will need to smooth out all the dents you've made by sanding and see that you get the ends into the proper lobe shape. By then you will know how to do that.Drill holes for the rivets and attach to the helmet bowl. Done!
Heating the steel and actually forging is way better, but this method works just fine. Don't be afraid to hurt the steel, it can handle it. :grin:
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Quote:

Well, part of the breakage issue is probably the type of metal,

Most of them appear to be 14 gauge steel. Is this the cause?
I meant more the quality...they seem to be cast, which is iffy when the quality control or whatever else is in the steel is left in the air a bit.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modifying the helmet - inside proportions Virilis 12 2,505 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Last Post: richsc