Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hybrid gladius scabbard
[attachment=1495]062.jpg[/attachment]
avete omnes

I did this gladius whit this particolar scabbard that is a hybrid,in fact have two plates that are one from museum of carnuntum(the centaur) and one from the vindonissa museum.I did this for do some variations in the scabbards compositions...the plates and all the scabbard are in full silver in fact the plates are not from embossing work but casted in very thin tikness.

valete omnes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PierPaolo siercovich
Are you planning to make more of those plates, or maybe even sell them?

Seems like you must have put almost as much effort into making the mould as you would working directly with the metal... or maybe not? (I've never done a cast.)

But being able to make more plates would be a bonus.
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
ave Fidelis

generally when you work derectly on the metal the work is more hard because you have to do the embossing on a metal.When you use the casting you have to work on sheet of wax that is more soft and work is not so haevy.But do a very thin sheet in casting is very difficult so....I did this in cast because some particolar of the centaur for example are very very difficult to do so I prefer use the wax.
PierPaolo siercovich
Ah, that makes sense. For some reason I didn't think of using the lost wax method.
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
I think it's beautiful. And I love the white handle, guard and pommel. What's it made of?
hello Joe

it is a particular organic material that is a very good sobstitute of the ivory of elephant.In Italy where I live if you use the ivory of elephant you finish in the prison whit a big man that whant give you a flower... :mrgreen:

so I use this material that is the basis of the rock of the reindeer that is white and very very strong and absolutly legal.The final effect is wonderfull and the hardness very hight!
PierPaolo siercovich
This is what I need right here...
Samuel J.
So it's reindeer antler?
near the skull the rock of the reinder is big,strong and white...but only this part near the skull.I use this part only for do this handles.after 10,15 cm the rock start to be empty and is not good for this kind of object.
PierPaolo siercovich
May I ask how you embossed the grooves on the cross hangers? The metal strips that the rings attach to.

Sam
Samuel J.
for this strips I use this technic,I two metal stamp,one female and on man and after I put metal inside(silver or brass) and after i put in the morse.
PierPaolo siercovich
I see, so I will have to carve out the metal plates :-? gee, was it worth the work? :oops: What did you use to carve the grooves out?

Sam
Samuel J.
hello

The embossing work do my sister that is master of art(she studied in accademy of art)because it is very difficult work and you have to know very well the tecnik.
PierPaolo siercovich
Very nice job well done.
Samuel J.
Wow,
your scabbard are always stunning!
Sincere congratulations to you and your sister.
CIAO from Italy

Marco

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,725 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,073 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,073 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70