Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman officer and Lorica Musculata!
Quote:That's the same thread I linked above, Matt!

Whoops! Wasn't paying attention :oops:
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:On the majority of mosaic panels in S.Maria Maggiore in Rome, the soldiers wear armour broadly cut like a Hellenistic T&Y cuirass depicted in light blue with a red breast field. Some also clearly wear scale armour and some may wear mail. True muscle cuirasses are also shown but only worn by commanders. They are shown in light blue (iron/silver).

Also, I believe this panel shows a bronze musculata worn by the Archangel (upper right):
S.Maria Maggiore

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Also, I believe this panel shows a bronze musculata worn by the Archangel (upper right):
S.Maria Maggiore
Agreed. Plus, the 4th figure from the left, bottom row, seems to wear an iron one.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, I agree! Then again they seem to be used only in depictions of higher officials in this mosaic... (Btw, Robert, just sent you an e-mail concerning scutums :wink: ...)
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi guys!

Just found this reasonable priced / simple iron cuirass. I think it is the same one presented on this thread earlier. Does anyone know anything about the vendor? What do you think?

http://www.sussexarmoury.co.uk/s6006-mus...-343-p.asp
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I know of the vendor ( I grew up in the same town) and they are a very long established seller of antique militaria. I hadn't realised that they were selling reproductions as well. But the underlying business has been going for at least 40 years.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks Paul!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather Cuirass Lorica Musculata, I used to think no way but AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 209 61,744 06-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  Major update by Travis Lee Clark Lorica Musculata Antonius Congianocus 6 4,352 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Late roman lorica hamata? Virilis 18 4,422 12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs