Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bishop and Coulston edition 2
<em>Oh, I've got one! Page 149 of the first edtion, in the description of the Dura Europas scutum. The thickness of the strips of wood used in its construction is given as "15-20 mm (1/2-3/4 in)", the total thickness as "50 mm (2 in)". Clearly there was a typo at some point in the metric measurements, which should be 1.5 mm to 2 mm, with a total thickness of c. 5 mm. The English measurements must have been calculated AFTER this typo got in! (Of course, a scutum of that size with a thickness of 2 inches is going to weigh about 80 pounds.)</em><br>
<br>
That one was got at an early stage, but thanks anyway. I spotted it after somebody commented on it without realising it was wrong. So far as I can work it out, the decimal points were dropped at the editorial stage when the imperial measurements went in (a bizarre process, as I <em>think</em> the original report was in imperial anyway and we converted to metric... if you're still with me ;-) Should have picked it up at the proof stage, though.<br>
<br>
The scale on the Rottweil <em>spatha</em> will be correct this time too (that was wrong in the original report and I stupidly believed it).<br>
<br>
<em>The weird thing is that the book on late Roman equipment by I.P. Stephenson copied this error verbatim! One of the many reasons I never bought that one...</em><br>
<br>
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... which is how I have to interpret all those 'after Bishop' re-draws that crop up in certain Tempus books :-(<br>
<br>
Keep 'em coming.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Some other geographic mistakes in B&C 1 (in the list in the beginning of the book):<br>
<br>
Leiden-Roomburg lies in the Netherlands not in Germany<br>
Rheingönheim lies in Germany not in Spain<br>
Oudenburg lies in Belgium not in the Netherlands<br>
Weiler lies in Belgium not in Luxemburg<br>
<br>
Ok, I will stop annoying you now<br>
<br>
Greets,<br>
<br>
Hans <p></p><i></i>
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
<em>Leiden-Roomburg lies in the Netherlands not in Germany<br>
Rheingönheim lies in Germany not in Spain<br>
Oudenburg lies in Belgium not in the Netherlands<br>
Weiler lies in Belgium not in Luxemburg</em><br>
<br>
To which we might add Lanchester, which is in County Durham UK, not Germany!<br>
<br>
Hmmm, something very funny happened with this list between our seeing proofs, correcting them, and it actually getting printed. Whilst I may have got the fourth one wrong all by myself (doubtless through confusion over whether Luxemburg is in Belgium or vice versa!), the others <em>definitely</em> not! Just goes to show that the only way to make sure your mistakes are honest ones is to typeset it yourself...<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
"..confusion over whether Luxemburg is in Belgium.."<br>
<br>
I thought I saw Luxemburg in the cheese case at Trader Joe's?<br>
I see we have about 22 preorders, which looks like a good start for now. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Weiler lies in Belgium not in Luxemburg<hr><br>
<br>
That had to be Weyler not Weiler . But it is still situated in Belgium (province of Luxemburg).<br>
<br>
BTW, what's a Luxemburg in a cheese case?<br>
<br>
Hans <p></p><i></i>
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:</em></strong><hr>what's a Luxemburg in a cheese case?<hr><br>
About three dollars. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bishop & Coulston RME available! FlaviusCrispus 82 23,652 07-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Karolus
  Book Values: Bishop&Coulston richsc 1 2,418 05-26-2001, 06:59 AM
Last Post: JRSCline