Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radagaisus
Ave Civitas,

I was just wondering if anyone knows who Radagaisus was.

He led an invasion of Vandals into Italy, then he led a mixed bag that contained Goths too.

Is there any information out there about him? Any references I could go to?

Thanks,

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I think it's more apt to describe the main part of his host as Goths, East Goths maybe, but a mixed bunch it was for sure.

Other names for Radagais(us) include Radagast and Radegast.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
There are several references to Radagaisus in Peter Heather, Goths and Romans, 332-489, Oxford, 1994, and id. The Fall of the Roman Empire, London, 2006. I could give you the page numbers, if you wish, but it is probably easier to get one or both of the books and get them from the index.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Ave,

Thanks. I just ordered those two books.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Hailog, Tom

Radagaisus is discussed by Herwig Wolfram in The Goths, and important book (and the first) on that culture. Wolfram gives a side to the story you won't find in either Heather or Kulikowski. I recommend it for balance. :grin:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Ave Alanus,

Got the book "The Goths". Since Radagasius was an Ostrogoth how did he end up in Bavaria and Slovokia? It seems that he must have passed through Transylvania or Mutenia to get north of Hungary (they couldn't have gone through Hungary because of the Danube frontier).

That is a long trek. Is there any historical record of that move?

Thanks,
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Quote:That is a long trek. Is there any historical record of that move?
Hi Tom, there is no reason to assume that Goths only moved around in ethnically pure groups. It is thought that 'the' Goths' were themselves consisting of more than just Gothic groups, and Radagais might even have been an individual travelling alone among a mixed group.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello, Tom and Robert

I think "Greutungus" might describe the man better than "Ostrogoth." If he was a Greutungi leader, he may have had a significant cavalry. And when you're mounted you can travel faster and further. As Robert pointed out, the Goths were not strictly an ethnic confederation, especially by the year 400.

I'll agree that the whole thing is maddening, from a reader's view. The geography and placement of each Gothic group defies mapping. Simply put, the record was too sparse, Roman writers did not understand the Goths, and we are left with huge holes in the landscape. :wink:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Since Radagasius was an Ostrogoth how did he end up in Bavaria and Slovokia? It seems that he must have passed through Transylvania or Mutenia to get north of Hungary (they couldn't have gone through Hungary because of the Danube frontier).

If he went up through Moldova and swung west, Radagasius would have skirted the Carpathians altogether and passed through Slovakia. This was a common route and an old one; and we have indications from Tacitus that Sarmatians used it centuries earlier. The southern passage-- through Iron Gate Pass-- was no-doubt partially abandoned by Roman forces at this time. We know that Alaric ranged through Pannonia unchecked; and in fact he used the territory as a base of operations. :grin:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)