Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persian ankle boots...
Hi all,

If Marathon taught me one thing, it's that I need more practical footwear -- specifically boots that don't admit sand so easily. I'd like to make them myself and I'm considering using Hedeby shoes as the basis. Does anyone have a pattern handy -- or a reason this isn't a good idea?

If Marathon taught me two things, it's that I need more practical footwear and a linen tunic. Is it true that linen always bleeds in the wash? Should I use a similar colour for the trim, or a different fabric entirely that won't bleed, or do I have to leave the tunic plain?

As always, thanks for any guidance you can provide!
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Dan,

Any simple heeless boots would do as a starter. If buying from a re-enactor supplier ask them to make what you want and see the price quoted. Bar the sand shoes are adequate, you may want to get or research and make a better persian shoe depending on what you plan to do. Its 2, 3 or 5 years till the next Marathon!

Linen should be ok, depends on the dye - always try handwashing in a bowl if you are worried, if it runs you can stop!

It was great meeting you at Marathon. I'm still thinking about getting Persian kit.

Alan
What do you mean by ankle boots exactly? The Persian shoes I have seen stop at about the same level as modern shoes. The Susa glazed reliefs are a good source for the two main types (one associated with Median dress, and one with Persian robes). Unfortunately I can't figure out how the ties and laces worked ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Marathon?
Did I miss seeing a report of your Marathon event?
Please post an account and if possible a few photos or a link.
In fact I would love the reporting of events to be a regular feature on RAT.
whaddyareckon?
regards
Richard
Quote:If buying from a re-enactor supplier ask them to make what you want and see the price quoted. Bar the sand shoes are adequate, you may want to get or research and make a better persian shoe depending on what you plan to do.
Apart from the sand, there were various small complaints about the Minnetonkas: The suede can't be cleaned, the crepe sole wears too fast, they also have heels (albeit extremely thin ones)... and they don't come in black :lol: Honestly I'd like to just make new ones myself, so that they're just what I want.

Quote:Linen should be ok, depends on the dye - always try handwashing in a bowl if you are worried, if it runs you can stop!
Good point.

Quote:It was great meeting you at Marathon. I'm still thinking about getting Persian kit.

Alan
Thanks. It was nice to meet you too!

Quote:What do you mean by ankle boots exactly? The Persian shoes I have seen stop at about the same level as modern shoes. The Susa glazed reliefs are a good source for the two main types (one associated with Median dress, and one with Persian robes). Unfortunately I can't figure out how the ties and laces worked ...
I'm thinking there may actually be three different types of shoes, or that one came in two sub-types. The early reliefs show the two you mention. The "Median" style appears to tie around the ankle, and then there appears to be a strap actually branching off the ankle strap and going under the heel. The sole isn't clearly indicated though that may just be the artist's decision. I'd think the Alexander Sarcophagus shows the same type, but it has an obvious sole and no heel strap. Since I don't know how to practically replicate the heel strap, I'm aiming at the Sarcophagus type (even though it comes from a later date), and I believe the Hedeby shoe would be a good basis. Gentes Danubii seems to wear something similar for their Persian impressions.

Quote:Marathon?
Did I miss seeing a report of your Marathon event?
Please post an account and if possible a few photos or a link.
In fact I would love the reporting of events to be a regular feature on RAT.
whaddyareckon?
regards
Richard
Hi,

Check out the main thread at the Events folder. Post-event material starts on page 18. Also take a look at Hippeis.com's forum.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celtic ankle armour? Treveri Gaul 1 1,576 02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk