Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobnailed Caligae Indoors - Near Tragedy Averted
On 18 April the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology in Philadelphia held its annual Rome's Birthday celebration with gladiators, legionaries, Senators, interactive events, lectures and even Matthew Amt as Romulus. The weather was sunny and warm and everyone had a great time, especially me as the coordinator of non-gladiatorial activities.

This day almost started with a tragic event that would have impacted Ancient Reenactors throughout the world.

One of the participants insisted on wearing his hobnailed caligae while walking through the museum holding his shield and pilum. As he walked near the cafe he slipped on the smooth hard floor and fell backwards. As he fell his pilum almost impaled the museum's event coordinator walking directly behind him. She is a mother of a small child. Also in the museum at the time were 130 children just waking up from a sleep over activity many of whom were in or near the cafe.

Thankfully she was just scratched, but if she were a half meter to one side she'd probably be dead or very badly hurt.

As the Penn Museum is one of the world's leading research museums located on the campus of one of America's leading Universities news of such an event, a death or serious injury caused by a careless reenactor, would have traveled to every museum and university in the world in a short time. The ramification would be a near total ban on reenactors working with museums and universities as we would have been portrayed in the press as careless weirdos dressing up as ancient warriors without regard to the safety of the public.

We all want to be as authentic as possible, but please don't be stupid and take your hobnailed shoes off when walking indoors with any sharp object in your hand. This should be an official rule in every reenactor group and enforced rigorously.
Joe Balmos
Everyone should remember the story of the Centurion in Josephus before walking with hobnailed shoes on smooth floors Tongue
Regards, Jason
Not only that... but wouldn't it be respectful to not bring damage to interior floors?
I once worked with about 8 others as a 'guard' at a roman themed executive dinner in kit in a very business hotel in the Sydney. Some of it was in carpet but all the halls and the main room were tiled floors and we had not been told this before, I had a hunch and put some hot glue gun spots on some of my hobnails, but it didnt stop them from coming off, and amny of us almost slipped constantly through the night. Knowing what I did of the venue I'd have honestly brought cheap costume boots with the rest of my kit, but sometimes this information isnt provided until you get to the site
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Having encountered the problem of slips on pavement in Museumpark Orientalis, I took a piece of thick brown rubber sole, pressed my studded boots on it, then drilled holes in the small pits and used some woodglue to stick the sole on. Do NOT use the waterresistant variaty of woodglue, as that makes it difficult te get the rubber sole off again. I did not think of using a gluegun, but that would also work, as you can reheat the glue ith a paintstripper and peal off the sole. Better still, have an extra pair of caligae without nails!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
There are a number of lighter un-nailed "Caligae" sandals of relatively simple design, I think it would be a good idea to wear these inside, stamp in some fine grit for extra grip... for extra security simply glue on a thin piece of light tan rubber soling, which would likely go unnoticed...

There are actually quite a lot of Stitched shoes from Roman sites, most shoes can be nailed or un-nailed... Mainz type closed boots with numerous finds are a good example...

Fit a protective cover on edged or pointed weapons... or don't carry them in public areas..
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:Fit a protective cover on edged or pointed weapons... or don't carry them in public areas..
Exactly my first reaction when reading this. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A set of printed event rules that we all sign would be a good idea. Clearly state The behaviors expected by the museum or host so it is not a hit or miss thing.

Such documents may be out there: anyone know of them?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
It's sort of mutually exclusive 'not to carry pointed weapons in public areas' when doing reenactment, surely?!

I have a pair of Mainz boots without hobs for my public events.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote: It's sort of mutually exclusive 'not to carry pointed weapons in public areas' when doing reenactment, surely?!
Usually you keep the public away from the areas where sharp stuff is present. But having said that, yesterday I too had my sharp spear with me. Sometimes stuff happens, we should simple take care - no amount of rules will prevent acidents unless you stopp all interaction. Which would be a shame.

Quote: I have a pair of Mainz boots without hobs for my public events.
Me too. Well, campagi. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps it is time for devising some code of honour for reenactors. A concise bullet lists from which the individial reenactor groups can derive their rules from and legitimize them.

Alternatively, one could formulate something like a Hippocratic oath, a one-liner about how reenactors should strife to be authentic, informative and but do no accidental harm to the public.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
well I had someone doing me an sax blade last year, I never finished it because the thing cuts like hell, I would say that any weapons we use should NOT be SHARP is important at least and decent, as for the rules I think that will not be very bad to have some.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Quote:A set of printed event rules that we all sign would be a good idea. Clearly state The behaviors expected by the museum or host so it is not a hit or miss thing.

Such documents may be out there: anyone know of them?

This is basically why Legio VI is registered as SCA. We get insurance and liability waivers, and there are certain rules expectations to be followed.
Rules do not and never will take the place of common sense, as is illustrated by all those gun fatalities each year. If you think rules can avert tragedy, think again! Morons will always ignore the rules, as they believe these are not applicable to the “experienced and well informed”. In the case in point, someone aware of the risk of his behavior should have told this fellow off pronto and banned him from walking around. Better to hurt feelings then the public!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I don't bother carrying a pilum at the museums events, just too dangerous. I have made leather soles that go "over" my hobnails and then I tape them on with brown duct tape. Even with the smooth leather soles it gets very slippery. Why take the chance with sharp or pointy items? When we work the ROM we are not allowed to let the public handle the swords and they must be "locked down" on our belts using safety lacing or some kind of tie so someone can't slip it out. Better safe than sorry.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Global Tragedy SAJID 2 1,173 07-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Last Post: franciscus