Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appropriate Greaves?
What sort of greaves are appropriate for Roman reenacting? I don't see many reenactors wearing them. I know there are some nice Praetorian and Centurion greaves that are easy to find, but what about the regular miles?

I thought I had heard someone on this board say greaves were not common until the Second Century AD. Can someone clarify what greaves are appropriate for the First Century AD?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
For a regular miles I would go without greaves.
ALA I BATAVORUM
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index...cts_id=132

but 3th century
Jurjen is right. No greaves are appropriate for the 1st Century, not until the 2nd Dacian Wars is there any common usage, and possibly only for those Dacian legions.

Legion: TBD
Yes, I have a set of each of those, for a second century impression, and later.
If yo ugo back to republican times, then there was more comon use of greaves, but possibly only on one leg for a miles.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I figured as much, thanks guys. So if a legionary miles did have greaves, they'd be like the AH6014B Brass Greaves and obviously not the "above the knee" centurion greaves
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:Yes, I have a set of each of those, for a second century impression, and later.
If yo ugo back to republican times, then there was more comon use of greaves, but possibly only on one leg for a miles.

What would the particularities of Republican leading-leg-only greaves be? Both with a view to buying (= good replica) and for general knowledge (=recognising them when seeing them).
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Well, the only time I have worn a pair they were one from a pair of hoplite greaves.
So, I am not 100% sure if the romans esed ones with fasteners a swell at thet period,
as my eye has been off the ball for a while.
But, I have seen reprosductions recently for that period, which have fastener loops etc on them
I would hope the craftsman who made them had done his research.....
i will try and find out though!
i fancy a pair! 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel