Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brothels and prostitutes in the vicus.
Hello Edna

As hinted at above there are a number of written records you can look at which might be of use.

Try 'Fink. "Roman Military Records on Papyrus". or Lewis,N. and Reinhold, M. 'Roman Civilization Sourcebook II: The Empire".

They give some details on customs charges and tolls collected by soldiers. Prostitutes were charged a lot so they must have been considered a lucrative source of income. I also seem to recall a detachment of soldiers being assigned to investigate the tax on prostitutes!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
While it is possible the meaning of the stone is one of the othr possiblities, the layout of the quarters point to their use as a brothel, with small cubicles in the larger quarters.
Hard to prove, I know, but, easy to imagine, as there were many ways for you equites or Centurions to make extra money! :wink:

I don't know what the proof would be but I like the idea.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I don't know what the proof would be but I like the idea.

Short of finding the "menu" of offerings you can see in the Pompeian Lupanar, and of graffito relating to the deeds of the night, I wouldn't know what proof would look like. Do you have a floor plan of the quarters in question, and a plan of the site accessible?

Simply by the sentence "small cubicles in larger quarters" one could imagine store-rooms. Not that this would have prevented them doubling for your enterprising Centurion's side-business. Wink
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)