Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crescent Moon Symbol
Salvete Omnes!

I wonder if any of you could help me. I’m looking for any material on the significance of the crescent moon as a symbol in roman military culture.

Valete,

Nerva.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
I don't know of much written info however I think it is reference to the Godess Diana.
Brian Stobbs
Many shields (probably belonging to auxilia soldiers) on Trajan's column have this symbol, but I'm also curious if this was a kind of auxilia symbol, or soldiers of other troops in Roman army could as well use it on their equipment?
Martin
Where we come across the symbol in Roman coinage the crescent is always synonymous with Sol,however with coinage the god Sol takes up the obverse of the coin where Diana or crescent is on the reverse. It's Sol (Sun)/Diana (Moon) or Apollo/Artemis. the heavenly twins. There is also that Artemis or Diana is the Huntress and there is such a Moon known as the Hunters Moon but if this is a connection I don't know
Brian Stobbs
The Hebron helmet famously has four crescents decorating its quarters as divided by the skull-reinforce. A provocator helmet from Pompeii has a large crescent riveted to its crown, possibly as a damage patch but probably not. Positioning crescents atop helmets suggests a protective function. Maybe borrowed from the Punic Astarte/Tanit crescent?
I believe (although by no means am certain) that the Greeks of Thespiai (famed for joining the Spartans at Thermopylai to the last) sported the crescent moon symbol (of Black Aphrodite) on their shields. It applied to their belief in a life-giving force related to Aphrodite and Eros. I'm not sure if the Romans were aware of this or if there is any connection (probably not). Artemis (Diana) was of course a huntress goddess with Athena (Minerva) the more usual warrior goddess.

Mind you Pompeii is right next to ancient Greek Neapolis and Greek culture and idioms would have been fairly well known.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Crescents are prevalent on the military signa. Phalerae in shape of a crescent are also known. I have not seen an explanation of this symbol though.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati