Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personalizing a Linothorax
Quote:
Dithyrambus post=304498 Wrote:Thank you Matt! I placed a bid for one of the Alexander linos, although I am not quite as ahem..robust as some of you guys Tongue , surely these can be taken in a bit? Confusedmile:

Haha, give me some credit, I still have a 34" waist lol.

I saw one of brookers_007's linos sold today, but it was picture-less. I'll warn you, he has a few different shoulder yoke styles, I would shoot him a PM and see if your linothorax has the simple "round shoulders" yoke, from my limited knowledge, I usually only see the "square" shoulder yoke/strap that myself or Iraliktos has on both reenactors and pottery scenes. Brookster has a ton of these things, I'm sure it would be no problem asking him to find one that fits your bill. The round ones looked goofy, maybe it is just me?

The buckle system on these things if just horribly designed, essentially (as you will see), the buckle and the leather strap are both mounted on the same piece, so you have to rope the strap through a loop and pull it back to buckle (try doing that one handed lol), as opposed to the buckle and strap being on opposite sides. Luckily you only need a razor blade to cut the straps off leaving you with 4 loops, careful not to let the blade slip when you cut through the touch leather, I did and made a small cut on my lino that needs to be sewn back together somehow or covered up.

Essentially in much too many words, I meant to say that tying it with leather ties will give you a much more precise fit as you can tie it exactly as tight or loose to your body as you would like. I got some leather shoe ties at Wal-Mart for $4. Simple quick fix!

Hey thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize there were different designs. I will contact the seller and ensure that I get the right thing, I am also interested in the grieves, they look more convincing than the bright brass grieves typically sold through KOA etc.

Thanks again Matt!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
No problem, before you buy any over the knee greaves, measure the height from the top of your foot to the top of your knee. Keep in mind whatever this measurement is, you want your greaves to be about the same size. You certainly don't want a greave that is too tall for you, nor one that is too short.

Joe told me he has a pair and they are 19" so that's something to keep in mind. They are a decent sum of money that could be put into a brass set later. But it depends on how far you want to go with reenactment. Many groups would not be very keen on having plastic parts, but then again Greek Reenactment groups are far and few between. Whatever you do, don't buy these if you know you you would rather have a brass/bronze, or you'll end up spending more money in the long run. Keep us posted on your linothorax and Greek impression, I still have to start customizing mine
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
As I have said previously i scored two Alex linos and I think they are great (except for the modern buckles/ fastenings) at the sides. One fitted me (I am big these days) and one would fit a slender person- so the width of your purchase is random.I purchased on behalf of a friend a set of the leather greaves and they are now being used by my friend as part of his gladiator kit- and they also were excellent.
However
I personally would not purchase fibreglass/ plastic greaves
The leather ones do look good but really would only be appropriate if
you or your group was doing Alexander the great period- Roman republican period and you are brave enough to stand up to people who dislike leather greaves
and apart from that I do not think either of the ebay shops have any leather ones left.
That said
i have made myself a pair of moulded leather full greaves and it was really very easy.
Good luck,
richard
Quote:As I have said previously i scored two Alex linos and I think they are great (except for the modern buckles/ fastenings) at the sides. One fitted me (I am big these days) and one would fit a slender person- so the width of your purchase is random.I purchased on behalf of a friend a set of the leather greaves and they are now being used by my friend as part of his gladiator kit- and they also were excellent.
However
I personally would not purchase fibreglass/ plastic greaves
The leather ones do look good but really would only be appropriate if
you or your group was doing Alexander the great period- Roman republican period and you are brave enough to stand up to people who dislike leather greaves
and apart from that I do not think either of the ebay shops have any leather ones left.
That said
i have made myself a pair of moulded leather full greaves and it was really very easy.
Good luck,
richard

Hm, I didn't realize that the greaves were plastic, really only noticed them briefly, I will probably look at other options and of course greaves are one item than are not absolutely necessary for a Classical period hoplite presentation. I also bought two of the linos, the second is for my son, I am looking forward to working on these together, painting etc.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I received both of mine today (that was quick!)First stop will need to be the dry cleaners, they are filthy! The one that I purchased that was not pictured is identical to the other minus the leather adornments, I think I actually prefer that one as it is more of a "blank canvass" to work with. 8-)

I would like to add some brass/bronze or copper plates around the midsection and maybe a Medussa head on the chest, anyone know of suppliers for these? Any other suggestions for decoration?

Thanks

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Wow, I just returned from dropping mine off at the dry cleaners and they are quite unsure as to just how "clean" they can get these ($30.00 each regardless), Matt, I noticed yours looks remarkably clean (compared to mine) how dirty was it when you first bought yours?

Also, after looking through images of hoplites on pottery I have noticed that the shoulder yokes typically attach to a single point at the center of the chest, as opposed to two attachment points. I only have a few images so I'm not sure if this was always the case, are there images that depict the yokes attached at two points?

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
I just ordered one.

I do not at all think that it looks goofy. Straight edged as well as rounded shoulder doublings were used and are attested by vase paintings as well as reliefs.

I dont know the state in which it will arrive, but it will be painted over. I specifically asked for one without all the leather appliques. It also will be modified the way which was already posted on here by attaching the two panels to each other on one side. It depends on the size if I will change the Pteryges.

These are fair priced and you can email him without any problems. Ardeshir bought about 5 of his Linothoraxes.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I bought two, one with the leather adornments which will be kept original as film memorabilia, the other is plain (like the others pictured in this thread)and will be the one that I will heavily modify and customize for my personal panoply. Not too concerned about all the stains (one is covered on the back with fake blood :twisted: ) I do plan to dye/paint my personal lino a bit more white in colour.

M.VIB.M, are you saying that the two attachment points for the shoulder yokes as opposed to one, are found in period pottery images? Actually, I hope so I have no desire to change that feature if it isn't necessary.

Edit: Your referring to the shoulder yokes ending in the rounded points aren't you? Yes, that does appear in the monumental record, I am referring to the attachment points on the chest, all of the images that I have currently depict a single attachment at the center of the chest and not two separate points as seen on these. As I said though, I only have a few images, so I'm not sure.

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Well I was actually referring to the rounded ends of the doublings, but yes I believe they also had attachment points which were varied, from one to two points...

[Image: achill.jpg]

[Image: 96069-004-49AB00B1.jpg]

[Image: Fig2.3.jpg]

Though the two point attachment might be Macedonian/eastern.

[Image: battleofissus333bc-mosaic-detail1.jpg]

[Image: Vergina001.jpg]

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
There are very many depictions of more than one attachment points in the chest. Two, three or even four. It is not at all a macedonian or other element.
Looking forward to seeing your progress in those, gentlemen!
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:I do not at all think that it looks goofy. These shoulder doublings were used and are attested by vase paintings as well as reliefs.

Actually I was referring to one he was selling that did not have the second tier, it was just a long oval, where as your yoke comes to a corner, and then a semi-circle halve.

Dithyrambus My linothorax was not very dirty when I got it, just minor surface stains. If yours has deeper stains, perhaps you might consider gently washing it in cold water and letting it dry hanging
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Mine came in today. It has the straight shoulder doublings but it is quite nice...

now it has to be painted and made to fit, as well as covered on the inside with leather since the inner material is too modern... Smile

Quite like it though !!!

[Image: 426842_3164411910463_1270346039_3208730_...5060_n.jpg]

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi,

This is my first post ever so be gentle with me! I'm currently constructing a linen faced leather cuirass and have done all the basic cutting out of parts, facing, and painting and now need to stitch parts together. I was wondering where you can pick up the fittings that the leather thongs are attached to? (eg, the lion's head fittings with the rings)I've been all over the internet and can't find a supplier.

Thanks!
Sorry, not just the lion ones but any kind of mount that holds a ring. :oops:
Possibly Manning Imperial would supply them.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel