Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personalizing a Linothorax
I can make anything you'd require or request for armor fittings. I have about 374 bronze scales right now to sell and can make any armor plates plain or ornate, ring attachments, knobs, Pteruge weights etc. I also do porpaxes and shield fittings though I don't have pictures of those on my website. www.dioskouri.com

Personally I'd stay away from lion heads etc as they are just drawer pulls.

If you want to talk about something you need made up, write me directly, [email protected]
Michael
The Phillip cuirass has lion heads on it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes well no ever accused the Macedonians of good taste! :lol:
Michael
Great work Michael !!

Bookmarked your site.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Thank you. I'm just trying to provide quality, custom parts and equipment to my fellow Greeks.
Michael
You can find lion head rings on eBay. That's where I got mine.
Lion's head drawer pulls are available all over the internet, but they are just what Michael says. If you want to get off on the right foot (authenticity) from the start, go to www.dioskouri.com for hardware, they can make ANYTHING and it will be correct. If you want to know how all that stuff is constructed correctly, go to www.thehoplites.com then select The Goat's Pen.
Bill
Quote:Hi,

This is my first post ever so be gentle with me! I'm currently constructing a linen faced leather cuirass and have done all the basic cutting out of parts, facing, and painting and now need to stitch parts together. I was wondering where you can pick up the fittings that the leather thongs are attached to? (eg, the lion's head fittings with the rings)I've been all over the internet and can't find a supplier.

Thanks!

If your'e in the USA, you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot in the cabinet fittings.
Jim K
Edited by Request.

Question, anyone know what paint would be best to paint the Linothorax ?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I haven't personally attacked you - I don't know you - you don't know me. In my opinion, your remarks are beneath any further response from me except to wish you a nice day.
Bill
Quote:Edited by Request.

Question, anyone know what paint would be best to paint the Linothorax ?

M.VIB.M.

Milk paint or mix milk paint powder with egg whites or linseed oil. Barring ancient techniques, acrylics work well.
Michael
Hello All! I managed to get some metal fittings to customize my linothorax, these pieces are inspired on the Alexander mosaic. I have doubts about the best position for the chest plate, because the linothorax was originally designed to be worn without fittings.

Just now the shoulders doublings are fixed in a single point that is in the lower part behind the metal plate in the picture. In this place, the metal plate covers that point and allows the upper painted patter to be seen. The problem is that it seems that the metal plate should be better placed on the top of the chest, but then it would cover the pattern and leave the single fixing point visible.

On the Alexander mosaic this piece seems to be much bigger, covering most part of the chest in the linothorax. Maybe a leather frame around the plate would help to fix it in a correct position an cover both fixing hole and pattern? Any advice, suggestion, idea is welcome.

[attachment=4059]2012-05-2517.11.42.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Congratulations in obtaining such lovely fittings.
I think it comes down to what you will be most proud of displaying.
I have a cupric alloy plate on one of my T&Ys and it is placed up where you surmise it should be and looks very effective being displayed between the yoke arms when the armour is closed. Yours could still leave the painted border above and if you had the border replicated below that would provide an excellent frame in itself.
Put the armour on someone and move the plate around to see which way you like it best. That, I think is how I have solved these sort of decisions when it all looks good-but you want the best.
have fun Big Grin ,
richard
Well, it is finally done, here is it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
It looks great!
Patrick D.