Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans Dominate Texas RenFair 2011
Legions X Fret and XIII showed up to dominate this year's Texas RenFair at Plantersville, Texas. As usual, we led the parade on November 5th and 6th. Pictured here are Terry Nix as Legate and John McDermott as Centurio (no I did not steal my kit from "Ancient Warfare"); and Keegan Chytwynd. Not pictured are about 30 more Romans from both legions, plus a near naked Celtic princess who on all likelihood was a Playboy playmate at some point. Legion XIII camped out and partook of some of the more extreme celebrations that cannot be further mentioned here. By the way Romans do very, very well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
OK. I'm not seeing the Celtic princess in the photo. I'm hoping you have that photo Smile
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Looks like great fun, I wish both of us in Legion X from Nevada could have made it. John are you going to post more pics? or do you know if Terry is going to send some out?
Mike Young
<Always remember that there is always someone with a
bigger and better army who wants to be Emperor>
Wasn't she the one we saw going on the roof of the carriage house with that Legate right after Dr. Willis' history lecture, John? I almost got to meet the Dr. personally. I've been getting his mail for years...
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
There are about a dozen pix on the chat room website.

The esteemed Dr. Willis was on hand but declined to make comments. The Celtic princess left shortly after the parade, with our hearts dragging behind her in the dust.
But you must at least have pictures of other Romans? Lets see them
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Here is the Celtic princess.

Here are few more of the Romans.

Nice pictures John. I see you had some admirers on their knees? Big Grin
Quote:The Celtic princess left shortly after the parade, with our hearts dragging behind her in the dust.
:roll: :lol: :lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No fair! Next time, I want to march further up in the column. Hmph. :|
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The guy on his knees was a Christian who was insisting we abuse him.
John.

I have been looking at the pictures you have shown and at the end in your more relaxed mode, there is one soldier at the left end of the pic' who appears to have something over his left hand that looks like a piece of leather. what is this ??
PS. I have to say I do like that colour Aquamarine sets off your other gear fantastic.
Brian Stobbs
What is with the guy in the chainmail wife beater walking with you guys? lol
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
That stuff on the hand protects the hand while carrying the scuta. It has no basis at all. Some guys seem to hurt their hands carrying the scuta.

Those other guys aren't with our units. They aren't Romans, but part of the parade. They were supposed to be Barbarians.
John's right. Because the grip balance and size of the hand hole on many scuta, including the Deepeeka ones, puts severe pressure against the metacarpals, many people resort to making fleece pads, wearing reinforced sport gloves, or these padded-back semi-gloves, or other means. Being more of a pragmatist, I just make the boss hole fit my hand, which of course causes the boss to be larger than the "standard" bosses.

When people say, "That's not authentic", I just look at their gloves and smile. But that's just me. :wink:
The Romans used these shields a lot. Daily, perhaps. And they carried them for long distances. They did something to make them comfortable enough to carry. I suspect that many of the scuta made by people today don't have that in mind at all--they're following some rote dimensions with no regard for the size of the person's hand that is to grasp the handle.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Texas RenFair 2012 John M McDermott 14 2,470 11-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Use of fur in the Dominate army M. Val. Naso 3 1,161 08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat