Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Footlocker
Thanks Brian

I will instruct the person at our Museum not to put a chest/box for storing a soldiers stuff in the reconstructed longhouse.
I have done my part.
Now it is up to him if he follows the given advise or not.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Whilst comtemplating the reconstruction of timber barracks some years ago here in the Netherlands, the subject of storage of personal belonings crossed my mind too. There are instances where the soldiers lifted part of the wooden planking to put their goods out of plain sight. The Corbridge Hoard is an example of this practice, but dependant on soil conditions a protective box mayor may not have been necessary. Another access space to put personal stuff, usually overlooked is the overhead free space above the bunks. My guess would be that spare clothing and not-so-valuables would be kept in a sack/bag of some sort up in that area. As there are no indications of how exactly the ceiling was built (did they look straight up the roof tiles or was there any form of division between the Papillio and the area above the rafters?)this is upto the individual's imagination. Obviously the Arma would serve as a primary storage place for weapons and equipment. Whether this had any cupboards in it is unknown, but it is feasible that soldiers with time on their hands made crude shelves or cupboards.
It would be nice if the more talented artists amongst us could do some artist impressions on the theme; we would al benefit from that.
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Paul
Do you mean the cancelled reconstruction of a contobernium barracks living quarters that was planned in Archeon?
It would have been an addition to the Themepark.

A revised artist impression about this subject would surely be nice.
As I can remember the is a there is a drawing of the barracks living quaters of cavalryman in "Connolly, Peter (1988), Tiberius Claudius Maximus: The Cavalryman, Oxford University Press" .

A nice project would also be a accurate in- outside reconstruction of a mile castle or tower like the one in Houten.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae