Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an accurate line-up
Hi Folks,

I'm putting together a Marian army for DBA, but using 6mm figs on the bases ususally used for 25mm figs, and as such can fit considerably more figures per base.

Each base, therefore, is going to represent a century, (although the actual number of figs will only be around 36).

My available models per base include 33 Legionaires, a centurion, a signifer, and a cornicern. I think traditionally wargamers put these in the center of the front rank, but before I glue them down, I thought I'd sanity-check this. Does anyone know where these 'officers' would have appeared in a century's battle line?

Gratias ago!
I do not think that the standards would have been at the front of any line up as they are the very important treasures of a Legion and would have been further back and well guarded.
I also think they would not have been to the side from the point of view of any flanking attacks.
Brian Stobbs
Hi Andrew

Try Osprey book on roman battle tatics, several suggestions as to locations of centuria command positions

martin
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]
Quote:Hi Andrew

Try Osprey book on roman battle tatics, several suggestions as to locations of centuria command positions

martin

AKA Ross Cowan's book on Roman Battle Tactics. ;-) See also my article in theAncient Warfare 2010 Centuria special for the positions of the centurion, signifer, optio and tesserarius in the battle line.

Cheers,

R!
oops sorry Ross, didnt mean to dis credit you m8
martin ward
vicuscenturion

carpe diem[/quote]