Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamellar vs. Scale Armour
Which one can be considered "better", on balance?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
You first have to define the two terms. IMO lamellar is an advanced form of scale in which the plates are assembled such that there is no need for a backing. If there is no backing then lamellar should be cheaper, lighter, and faster to assemble than scale.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Don't we have several older threads on this subject? What I want to know is something more exotic. How effective is fighting naked with no weapons? :woot: Confusedilly: :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Dan, was it you who said that scale's leather or fabric backing tends to degrade because it can't be washed, or how the scale's holes fray the thread they're sewn with?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Don't we have several older threads on this subject? What I want to know is something more exotic. How effective is fighting naked with no weapons? :woot: Confusedilly: :whistle:

probably you ill have to ask HERE Wink
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Quote:Dan, was it you who said that scale's leather or fabric backing tends to degrade because it can't be washed, or how the scale's holes fray the thread they're sewn with?
It is mainly the lacing that causes the problems. The same problems occur with both scale and lamellar. I like this passage from Sakakibara Kozan:

"When soaked with water the armour becomes very heavy and cannot be quickly dried; so that in summer it is oppressive and in winter liable to freeze. Moreover, no amount of washing will completely free the lacing from any mud or blood which may have penetrated it, and on long and distant campaigns it becomes evil-smelling and overrun by ants and lice, with consequent ill effects on the health of the wearer.”
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Call for Sources: Extant Scale and Lamellar with Fabric/Hide Intact Sean Manning 11 2,720 11-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  scale/lamellar armour SAJID 7 2,509 05-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  New Byzantine lamellar armour found in Spain Thersites 4 3,443 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great