Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volley Fire in Ancient Armies
What evidence do we have for the theory and practice of volley fire in antiquity and what passage in Aelian might have inspired Maurice?

Quote: In 1594, William-Louis of Nassau had written to his cousin Maurice, suggesting salvo fire, or volley fire by ranks, a tactic that he had discovered in his reading of Aelian. Following the practice of the ancients, he proposed that each rank of shot would discharge its weapons at once, and then smartly retire to the rear while reloading. By this method he assumed that a continuous rolling fire could be kept up.

Philosophers of War: The Evolution of History's Greatest Military Thinkers , p. 120

Just noticed the same question already came up on this forum...ten years ago!
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
The Chinese did this with their armies of crossbowmen, didn't they?
Oh boy, I just noticed that I myself asked the very same question several years ago. Perhaps we continue to discuss there.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
I added a comment on the original-older post, but it's not showing up on Recent Discussions. Hmm! Well, anyway, I pointed out that archery was the deadliest and most demoralizing form of volley. For whatever that's worth. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Armies YouTube video on Zama Justin Swanton 25 2,128 09-14-2021, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Hanny
  Experiment: The Effectiveness of the Pila Volley Bryan 3 2,774 10-06-2015, 05:48 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Volley Fire by Ancient Missile Troops Eleatic Guest 19 6,670 04-20-2015, 05:38 AM
Last Post: richard robinson