Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can we improve RAT in 2012
Quote:This is a chicken-and-egg situation. There is no 'Byzantine' section because there are few posters but are there few posters because there is no 'Byzantine' section? The present 'Greek' section says that it is for discussion of Greek and Hellenistic armies and their contemporary enemies, which is not exactly welcoming to the Byzantinists.
I don't think so. As the Byzantine arms & armour even has a 'sticky', it's always on top. I feel it has more to do with a lower number of interested people, or perhaps a general feeling that the whole forum (not only the Greek section) is too early?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Renatus post=301376 Wrote:This is a chicken-and-egg situation. There is no 'Byzantine' section because there are few posters but are there few posters because there is no 'Byzantine' section? The present 'Greek' section says that it is for discussion of Greek and Hellenistic armies and their contemporary enemies, which is not exactly welcoming to the Byzantinists.
I don't think so. As the Byzantine arms & armour even has a 'sticky', it's always on top. I feel it has more to do with a lower number of interested people, or perhaps a general feeling that the whole forum (not only the Greek section) is too early?
In a sense, I am acting as Devil's Advocate but, if I were a Byzantinist and I saw a section headed 'Greek Military History and Archaeology' which described itself as 'Discussion related to Greek and Hellenistic armies and their contemporary enemies', I would probably think that it was not for me and look no further, so I would never know about the sticky. In fact, I will go further. My interest is mainly in the Roman army, so I have little occasion to look in the Greek section. The first time that I did, it came as a surprise to find that the Byzantine period was also covered there.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=301451 Wrote:
Renatus post=301376 Wrote:This is a chicken-and-egg situation. There is no 'Byzantine' section because there are few posters but are there few posters because there is no 'Byzantine' section? The present 'Greek' section says that it is for discussion of Greek and Hellenistic armies and their contemporary enemies, which is not exactly welcoming to the Byzantinists.
In a sense, I am acting as Devil's Advocate but, if I were a Byzantinist and I saw a section headed 'Greek Military History and Archaeology' which described itself as 'Discussion related to Greek and Hellenistic armies and their contemporary enemies', I would probably think that it was not for me and look no further, so I would never know about the sticky. In fact, I will go further. My interest is mainly in the Roman army, so I have little occasion to look in the Greek section. The first time that I did, it came as a surprise to find that the Byzantine period was also covered there.

And Byzantine is more Roman thwan Greek int he end when you think about it. Thay had all sorts of stuff the Greeks didn't and the ROmans did, and they still called themselves Byzantines. The term Byzantine wasn't even coined until the 17th or 18th Century.
That name comes from the original Greek city of Byzantion (Roman/Latin Byzantium); later Constantinople; currently Istanbul (we all know this); and who knows what in future centuries?

The Byzantine Empire was the direct descendent of the Eastern Roman Empire, following the split. This is a cultural faultline that still exists - running as it does through the Balkan peninsula.

I think a post-Roman section might be a good idea for many reasons. Commentators who suggest this is a kind of 'hybrid' situation are correct in my view. It was derived from Roman expansion and consolidation, but was based upon previous Hellenic/Hellenistic territories (conquered or otherwise) and of course was largely Greek speaking. Roman Catholicism sprang from the Christianised and Papal western empire, and Greek Orthodoxy sprang from the alternate version in the eastern empire. The differences were there from the beginning (whichever beginning you advocate) and multiplied thereafter.

I don't know what name you might wish to call it but Byzantine Period might be as good as anything, however, please do not incur the wrath of the People's Popular Front of Byzantium (splitters!!!)... ;-)
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
I suspect as a membership we all have a relatively clear idea about what RAT actually exists for, although we may differ in detail. That is a pretty good start for any organisation.

RAT benefits its members in a variety of ways:

By facilitating positive discussion about all things Roman, Greek, barbarian and even Byzantine. RAT is not face book and the community side of things confuses the issue. Debate should ideally be kept on the public forums not amongst “friends” or via “PM’s”. Private conversations are no substitute for public discussion and benefit few people.

By high lighting new finds, ideas and books.

By allowing people to ask questions, and giving them good answers. I fear many people will never post on RAT due to the fear of being criticised or looked down upon by some of the relatively few people who do regularly post. RAT to a degree seems to have an image problem.

By acting as a show case for reconstructions and sales. Members enjoy showing their kit and it makes others want to emulate them, all very positive. This is linked to buying and selling equipment. Good and bad goods and producers can be identified for the benefit of the membership. I believe RAT is responsible for improving the general quality of equipment on offer and that is very positive.

By advertising events that would interest members, although if all events were listed the forum may be over-loaded. A link to a society’s relevant web page may be an alternative approach. In the past I have posted up some but not all, of the Comitatus events programme, but such notices every two weeks through the summer does seem excessive.

I suspect RAT benefits its members in more ways than can list. But I do strongly maintain that RAT should benefit its members. Posting up issues and questions here has helped me obtain answers to questions, discover suppliers, learn new skills and get resolutions to problems with traders. Long may it continue. Now back to work, lunch time over.
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Would it be possible -- when you start/create a thread -- to be automatically "subscribed" to it, without having to remember to click the subscribe button? (Or am I doing something wrong ... again? :roll: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
My vote, too, D.B.

If memory serves well, I think it used to be even if you commented on a thread you were subscribed, but that was a couple of iterations ago.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Would be possible to have the message/private messages button became bolder/different colour when you get a new PM(I know that the messages appear in my email) I will survive
even is not possible.

For the rules/guidelines debate, for me the RAT rules are pretty clear, even for person like me which English is not his first foreign language. Sometimes is good to take a step back, shout some "nice word" to the gods and then continue with the debate(it worked for me many times more or less successfully)

About the low activity on RAT- in life are ups and downs - maybe the economic crisis is one of the causes(I feel it strongly on my skin, but this will not jeopardize the RAT conference in March) or some others.

For the end: Everybody keep the good work - the world need you/us :wink: .
Many things about Romans, Greeks, events, equipment,... will remained hidden if wasn't for this wonderful place called RAT.
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu
"D B Campbell

Praefectus Castrorum

Would it be possible -- when you start/create a thread -- to be automatically "subscribed" to it, without having to remember to click the subscribe button? (Or am I doing something wrong ... again? )"

If you go to the bottom left of each thread, there is a button ,marked "subscribe" which should help!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Would it be possible -- when you start/create a thread -- to be automatically "subscribed" to it, without having to remember to click the subscribe button? (Or am I doing something wrong ... again? :roll: )

In the Vbulletin system you can, but I don't know about here...

EDIT: Seems I found it, he-he, thanks guys that's useful
Quote:If you go to the bottom left of each thread, there is a button ,marked "subscribe" which should help!
But I meant automatically. (I'm just being lazy. :oops: )
I can have the subscription box turned on by default, but that'll be for everyone and is likely to cause a torrent of email to go out the more new posts are put up. That's no great objection, unless members start to consider it spam...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Just my humble vote: I would prefer the default not be to automatically send emails. I personally think all those notices are annoying.

The "My Topics" tab is good for keeping track of your current conversations. It's all there in one place so you don't have to try and remember what you have been talking about and then hunt around.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:The "My Topics" tab is good for keeping track of your current conversations. It's all there in one place so you don't have to try and remember what you have been talking about and then hunt around.
D'oh! :oops: Another button I've never noticed.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/aworgadm/public_html/components/com_kunena/funcs/latestx.php on line 129

Today, I get this when clicking Recent Topics. AFAIK, nothing has changed on my end (browser version, etc, all the same.)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.