Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can we improve RAT in 2012
Quote:Did you get anything nice, by the way?
I was looking forward to a new book about legionary fortresses, but it never arrived. :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
mcbishop post=304242 Wrote:Did you get anything nice, by the way?
I was looking forward to a new book about legionary fortresses, but it never arrived. :wink:
Pah - you don't want to believe anything he writes! Anyway, it all goes horribly wrong by the time it gets to the colour-in, pop-up Novaesium with built-in sound-effects chip... :roll:

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Anyway, it all goes horribly wrong by the time it gets to the colour-in, pop-up Novaesium with built-in sound-effects chip...
It's sooo difficult to synthesize an accurate bucina flourish, don't you find? :lol:
(Ooops, getting a bit o.t.)
Quote:I'd like to see when you quote someone the quoted text be displayed in a box. This makes it easier to read and find the response and is less confussing.

One regular poster (I can't remember who) uses a different colour for quotes to help them stand out. I thought it helped, so I started doing it, too. Just highlight the quoted text and click on the little colour palette in the "boardcode" section.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:One regular poster (I can't remember who) uses a different colour for quotes to help them stand out. I thought it helped, so I started doing it, too. Just highlight the quoted text and click on the little colour palette in the "boardcode" section.
The old system used to insert a box for you so no need for extra mucking around with colours (it's not exactly a major coding job to achieve the same effect but this template appears not to implement it). Computers are, after all, supposed to make things easier, not harder. ;-) The current template also inserts an ugly extra space under quotes which means you have to remember not to put your own return in. All trifling niggles, but they would be nice to clean up, given the widespread use of quoting by posters.

Mike Bishop

Quote:One regular poster (I can't remember who) uses a different colour for quotes to help them stand out.
Whoever it is, I've been copying them. Big Grin

Quote:(it's not exactly a major coding job to achieve the same effect but this template appears not to implement it)
I suppose that, when you commit to one particular system, you buy in to the whole kit & caboodle ... or face a major head-ache in tweaking this, that and the other to get it "just right".
Quote:I suppose that, when you commit to one particular system, you buy in to the whole kit & caboodle ... or face a major head-ache in tweaking this, that and the other to get it "just right".
Part of the fun of any CMS is fiddling with it, breaking it, fiddling with it some more, cursing the day you ever went near it, then fixing it without quite knowing how. That's how economics works too, by the way. ;-)

Mike Bishop

Quote:Part of the fun of any CMS is fiddling with it, breaking it, fiddling with it some more, cursing the day you ever went near it, then fixing it without quite knowing how.

Of course the real fun begins when you then try to keep things up to date so new features are enabled, bugs are ironed out and hacking is prevented. That's the day you curse having ever asked your visitors for their opinions. Wink Wink
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:That's the day you curse having ever asked your visitors for their opinions. Wink Wink
Of course Democracy is a Classical invention, but who said it made things easier?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
True. That's why it's good to be a benevolent dictator. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Just one point, perhaps it's been mentioned, but when you click on a photo to enlarge it...
it usually appears no bigger in the pop-up, and many times smaller than the phot posted...
can that be fixed?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think that's probably because the forum automatically resizes images for 'normal view' and shows the original size when clicked. If that's smaller than 'normal', the pop-up is smaller.

I'll check the settings.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Is it just me or is the PM system stunningly cumbersome and verging on clunkishness? Certainly has pretensions of user surliness. I'm sure the old system used to be better... but then all the skies were blue back then and nobody ever got depressed by Windows 3.0...

Mike Bishop

It's not just you. I remember those blue skies, too. And it never rained when we were having fun outdoors.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The Marketplace really needs to be cleaned up. Some posts are over a year old. It just clutters up the page.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony