Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zodiac and Roman Army Camp construction
Macedon wrote: your whole post seemed to have to do with the Polybian Romans.

The Roman cosmos is divided into four parts, with each part being again divided into four parts. The foundations of the Roman cosmos system are very early, and everything is built on them. Polybius’ mention of four parts confirms they are adhering to the system in Polybius time. It’s a mile stone.

Macedon wrote: Even if the powers of 2 play a role at certain times, they obviously do not at others, as for example in the Polybian armies where indeed 3 seems to be the basis of the system.

You are correct about the power of 3. But there is more to it than that. I will say briefly, and I will not elaborate anymore as it is comprehensive in nature, but the number 3 represents the number of ages that have elapsed. When a new age begins, the new legion will have the power of 4 (representing the fourth age).

Macedon wrote: Now, this sounds as though you directly contrast the two systems. My question to you, though, had nothing to do with raw mathematics. It had to do with the issue at hand. I asked : "Where in their tactics do they use triangular numbers (apart from wedges and rhombuses obviously and then again not in all forms of arrangement)?".

Why do you associate triangular numbers with tactics? Some examples of triangular numbers are 1, 3, 6, 10. Some examples of square numbers are 1, 4, 9, 16, 25.

Macedon wrote: In your directing me to “Ancient Mathematics” by S. Coumo, Routledge (2001) it seems your comment had little to do with tactics but wasn't it the whole point to discuss the use of mathematical patterns in tactics? I remind you that the above comment was made in regard with the outline of the Roman camp.

I direct you to that book as it is informative and will give you and insight into ancient mathematics. And what has tactics got to do with the mathematics involved in laying out a camp? You’d be better off researching ancient surveying practices.

Macedon wrote: This was written by Proclus in the 5th century AD. What did you mean?

I got it from a Geminos fragment that was translated and sent to me. Some scholars believe Geminos lived in the 1st century BC.

Macedon wrote: And if so, what do their tribes and their numbers have to do with that?

I have explained this and I showed a relation between the number of zodiacs and the size of the cohort to arrive at the number of men in the 35 tribes and the number of men in a tribe. Hasn’t anyone realised the number of iuniores in a tribe is the same as a 4800 man legion. To arrive at that figure I used data from the primary sources which everyone is familiar with, so either its mathematical coincidence on a grand scale or I am onto something.

Going back to the your question, the order of the cosmos starts with the Earth, then the Moon, Mercury, Venus, the sun, mars, Jupiter and Saturn. So if you forget about orbits, in its simplest form the cosmos is a straight line. The cosmos is bounded by the zodiac or the fixed stars. The zodiac should not be confused with the lunar zodiac, nor should it be associated with predictions of the future. Some people have a real difficulty separating this from stupid horoscopes.

Therefore, we have a straight line (the cosmos) encased in a circle (the zodiac). In its earliest form, the zodiac use to be a square. For some crazy reason, the Romans believe they are moving towards the zodiac. Please don’t ask me why as I don’t want to give ammunition to those close minded idiots who only post to mock. When the Romans create a tribe it marks the position in stadia to where they are in relation to the cosmos (the straight line). During the reign of Augustus the position is Saturn, and that is why they believe in the return of the golden age of which the first golden age was associated with Saturn. The cosmos moves at a certain number of stadia a year. The zodiac turns at a different number of stadia a year. Interconnect with all of this is a cycle of time which is set at a specific number of years. Virgil calls it the roll call of the centuries, so that will give you an idea of how slow it is. One scholar predicted it moved at one degree every 72 years. The cycle of time uses the Egyptian calendar. The whole cosmos, zodiac and time cycles are all presented in one table covering 1200 years. After the creation of the 35 tribes, the Romans use the progress of the zodiac when a time cycle has elapsed they increase the size of the tribes. After 495 BC, the Roman creates pairs of tribes and this is because a tribe equates to a certain number of degrees and minutes and two tribes equates to degrees (a round number). So from this you can discover the founding year of the tribes. The organisation of the legion therefore relates to the zodiac. The word signa can also represent a constellation, or group of stars, and as a cohort is a number of zodiacs….so the number of men in a signa can be determined.

Macedon wrote: You should not expect us to make the connection, since it obviously has demanded a great deal of synthesis from you.

The primary sources are full of data crying out to be connected. I label my research “joining the dots.”

Macedon wrote: So, does it predict or explain?

It explains. My example of defining how many men in a tribe which is determined by multiplying the cohort by how many stadia to a degree is an example.

Macedon wrote: What I can only say is that it is impossible for any of us here to make any real criticism since without knowledge of your system's mathematical details no checking and juxtaposition with these or other examples can be made.

I gave the formula for the tribal size cohort multiplied by zodiac etc. etc. Therefore, you have some knowledge of the mathematical system. The whole book is 250,000 words and 108 diagrams. It is a continuous mathematical system. Taking selected pieces out and defending them means using more information, which will again result in more information being demanded? I might as well post everything up as an attachment.

Macedon wrote: What are the 700 stadia (about 118 km)? And what period are you with this referring to?

The zodiac works on 700 stadia for the whole period (1200 years). The cosmos is synched to the Sothic cycle so I have no idea when one degree equals 700 stadia made its debut. As to how many kilometres a degree is, it has no relevance to my research.

Macedon wrote: What question exactly does the formula 162 - 142 answer? I kind of fail to see any crucial connection of the number 60 with Polybius' description of the Roman camp...

As I have already stated, it’s associated with the square zodiac. Just because you or anyone else cannot see a crucial connection with Polybius’ camp does not mean it doesn’t exist. Before I told you, no one had any idea of a connection to the cohort and stadia could predict the number of men in a tribe. I also found another rule of thumb practiced by the Romans - “a single division must be able to be divided into very large parts with smaller spaces or into a very small number of parts, with large spaces.”

Macedon wrote: As for the cohorts of the Polybian Romans, aren't they normally 160 (dividable by 16 and not by 60) and 100 (not dividable by 60 or 16) man strong, when necessary reinforced to 200 and 110 respectively (both numbers not dividable by either 16 or 60)?

Following you premise, a Polybian legion at 10 cohorts of 160 men amounts to 1600 men. Polybius has one legion size numbering 4200 men so you are missing 2600 men. Polybius has the legions numbering 4000 men so you are now missing 2400 men, and Polybius legion of 5000 men means you have to find another 3400 men. I have no idea where you got you numbers from but Geminos does discuss in some length a 160 year cycle.

Macedon wrote: And since when is the Polybian camp a square itself divided in four equal squares or the consul quartered in its middle? I admit I have never sat down to draw one myself but the drawings I have seen and the reading I have done do not seem to shape such a pattern.

The Roman term a particular land boundary a century. But does that mean is actually holds within the space 100 men? The cosmos is also divided into four. Could the Romans have originally mirrored their camp on the cosmos? Until there is a thorough study done, we cannot say either way.

Robert wrote: I think I can call myself knowledgeable in the Late Roman army however, and the way you treated that discussion about unit strength did not make me happy.

Is this because I presented some theories about the Late Roman organisation? Is it because I disagreed with you and Campbell’s point of view that Isidore and the numbers for the Theban legion are untrustworthy? Did you get upset because I questioned some of your assumptions?

Robert wrote: However, what made me sad and a bit angry was how you dismissed researchers ‘en masse’ in your latest post. I thought that especially unfair, and almost always incorrect.

As to being en masse, this is taking it too far. I can’t afford the time to list all the good ones and the bad ones in a single posting. However, in the future I will be more careful and state “some” academics.

What made me sad and a bit angry was when you and Campbell claim Isidore and the numbers for the Theban legion are untrustworthy. You make these judgement calls without having conducted a proper analyst of the numbers. There is a common practice with some academics. They make statements without offering proof and I’ve posted examples of this over the past years.

Robert wrote: No matter if a cohort number 400, 500 or even 600, it’s always the zodiac or the tribal system underlying all this. Why not simple practical reasons? Such as available numbers?

If a 60-century legion is what is meant by a full strength legion, then why can’t a 40-century legion be under-strength, or in your words, they only have enough men to available to make a 40- century legion.

Robert wrote: That, Steven, is an outright misrepresentation of the facts.

No it is not! If a published academic claims a legion is 4800 men for a given time frame specified by them, then he/she should bring all other legion numbers for that specified time frame into the discussion. It is beneficial to any author to do this as it could lead the way to a better understanding of the legion’s organisation. One academic claims that in Caesar’s day the legion numbered 4800 men, but fails to address other sources going as low as 3000 men to 6000 men. If they published that smaller legion numbers represent missing detachments or they are under strength, then prove it. But first to do that you have to be completely sure of how the legion is organised. I was always taught if you are 99% sure then remain quite, but if you are 100% sure then state your case.

Robert wrote: Maybe you don’t like the answers because they do not fit your theory, but there have been plenty of discussions of such battles, and mostly the academics accept these numbers as *reality*, not as the result of some religions drive that caused the Roman military command to ALWAYS take into account the zodiac, the ancient tribal system or some other formula to determine the actual number of combatants.

Well that completely ignores Livy’s reference to a levy formula he mentions for the allies. I seem to recall it had some Latin name. If there is a levy formula there is a system behind it. The levy dictates the smallest to the largest number of men that can be called up and equipped. The number of legions assigned to a campaign would be decided on by the senate. However, in my defence, when I discussed the possibility of 40-centuy legions, 50 and 60 century legions I did NOT associate them with the zodiac. It was entirely separate. It is you that is now doing this. I know when the zodiac comes into play and when military dictates come into play. Please go back and read the paragraph you yourself highlighted and you will see it is free of the zodiac.

Robert wrote: Like my fellow-academics, I do not look for a continuous system determining these numbers throughout Roman military history.

Then why not try something new? Academia has been at it for some hundreds of years and still cannot come to a consensus on many aspects of Roman military history. New tools and a new methodology might provide new insights. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Robert wrote: is it better to accept that insufficient data exist, then to invent your own proof? Is misusing the primary sources the answer, to ignore common reason?

So I am inventing my own proof. Well I am doing one hell of a good job at it. I take the 480 man cohort and with the degree plus the 35 tribes I get the 4800 man legion per tribe, and then I introduced Livy’s comment the tribes had doubled since Servius Tullius and I get 2400 iuniores and then provide a reference to four cohorts numbering 600 men which amounts to 2400 men. And I did this using data from the primary sources. So what is it I have invented? Seems when I give some of my research away, like the cohort zodiac thing, because it cannot be debunked, it gets ignored, and people going fishing for something else to go after. How about addressing that cohort zodiac formula? Think it has some merit? Or is it difficult for many to admit I could be breaking new ground?

Robert wrote: You give your own answer, without providing any proof whatsoever. That’s not research.

I made it a question Robert. As to research, it is all in the book, campaign year by campaign year by campaign year, giving all the army and legion numbers, which all interconnect with the Servian constitution. That’s right! I worked out the levy system from the Servian constitution, which I then later discovered is interconnected with the cosmos.

Robert wrote: Then tell us, is your understanding of this battle based on sources who tell us the exact order of battle plus the numbers of the units (I’m no expert, so I don’t know), or is it based on what you assume must be the numbers based on your theory? If the latter, I don’t see the problem: two sources tell us different things. You can blame the researchers for being stupid and bash them for it, or you can accept that we have two sources telling us different things.

Oh come on Robert, it’s ok for academics to bash the ancient writers. Academia has been doing this for centuries. You have stated that the numbers for the Theban legion are untrustworthy. Don’t you think comments like that erode a reader’s confidence in the primary sources if most academics are making the same claim? And considering academic cannot prove such legion numbers are wrong, how can they then claim the source to be untrustworthy. On the other hand, if someone attacks academia, academia cries foul. I’ve supplied enough examples in the past about this issue. I also ask you to reread my statement again. I did not say researchers were “stupid” I said “I still cannot understand how it is so grossly misunderstood.”

Robert wrote: One of them is obviously wrong (or both, we weren’t there), but it’s not done to blame researchers for not being able to determine who.

And you wonder why I bash academia. You have with your own words described the most common practice associated with academics in the field of Roman military history. If the numbers between two ancient writers on the same battle conflict, academia immediately presumes one must be right and the other must be wrong. Trust me Robert, it’s not very productive. My methodology is to try and determine how both ancient writers arrived at their numbers. As I wasn’t there, I have no reason to brand them as untrustworthy. Let’s use Asculum as an example of how I approach the primary sources. For this time period, Orosius claims the Romans had eight legions. Strangely enough, my tribal system shows the tribes for this period can levy eight legions. The numbers present at Asculum by Dionysius are 70,000 infantry of which 20,000 are Romans, and over 8000 cavalry. The figure of 70,000 infantry equate to 14 legions at 5000 men per legion. So are we to believe that of the 14 legions at Asculum, only 4 legions are Roman (20,000 men)? What happened to the two Roman two allied legion structure? And isn’t the army at Asculum getting pretty close in number to Cannae?

Now let me now introduce a third school of thought. What I have worked out is that Dionysius is giving the numbers of legions raised for that year and these legions are geographically position throughout Italy to anticipate the movements of Pyrrhus. Dionysius 14 legions would equate to 8 legions at Asculum (four Roman and four allied), another proconsul army in reserve before Rome, (two Roman and two allied) and two urban Roman legions. From this I get 70,000 infantry and over 8000 cavalry. Maybe Dionysius’ words were lost in translation and what he meant to say was of the 70,000 infantry, 20,000 Roman infantry were at Asculum. Frontinus 40,000 men equates to eight legions at Asculum (four Roman and four allied at 5000 men per legion), but Frontinus omits the cavalry numbers for the eight legions. What is interesting is to research the year before Asculum and you will see three armies, two consular armies in the field and one army to protect Rome commanded by Calvinus, who interestingly enough had the power of a dictator. The last time I can remember when the Romans had two consuls and a dictator for the same year was in 494 BC. My research for this period shows a dictator commands double the number of legions as a consul. It is their rule of thumb. So with each consul having four legions, the dictator would have eight legions, which gives a total of 14 legions. If I remember correctly, wasn’t Pyrrhus that year feinting towards Rome? This would clarify why Clavinus was given dictatorial powers. It gave him legitimacy to command eight legions. Ok, be my guest and tear the 14 legion interpretation apart.

Robert wrote: First of all, I really think that this last statement is not based on any facts at all. It flies in the face of all the evidence, as I think was clearly shown by the discussion here on RAT.

I’m not sure how to answer this. What is your exact meaning? However, I will note a large proportion of my research flies in the face of that discussed by academia.

Robert wrote: I think you have been cherry-picking from Vegetius and other sources, ignoring evidence to the contrary.

Again you accuse me of cherry picking. I have already shown you I have done no such thing. The mistake was you ignored or failed to notice what I had written. Why are we going over this issue again? This is getting to feel like hitting your head against a brick wall.

Robert wrote: Secondly, a question: from the Punic wars to late Roman times? Why jumping all over the Principate? There must be a lot of primary sources to discuss?

I discuss them all. But I am not sure of your line of questioning. I quickly condensed the last part of the posting as I was pushed for time.

Robert wrote: Nobody says that you did, but I’m not so sure about the other way around.

I know I am not the type to bend data to fit a preconceived theory. I never had a theory to start with. And I knew little about the cosmos, whether it be Greek, Aztec or Babylonian that would lead me to think I can make some theory about this connecting it with the Roman military. If you look at my past threads over the years you will see how I am curious about why the mathematical triad was so dominate in Italy. You will see an investigating mind at work. Although uncovering the cosmos as given me so many answers, it added three years to the project; a project I thought was well and truly finished.

Nik wrote: Of course, he then lost 3 in Germany and did not replace them (despite large scale emergency levies IIRC), leaving the legion strength at 25 - which may well cast doubt on how special the number 28 actually was.

Losing the three legions does not “cast doubt on how special the number 28 actually was.” You need to know more about ancient astronomy and their religious philosophy. A good starting point is to research the primary sources about how man is connected to the cosmos. To give you a kick start, here is the following:

“in the third hebdomad, a man concludes growth in terms of length, and in the fourth hebdomad, a man concludes growth in terms of breadth, and a man stops growing at 28 is a complete number. In the fifth hebdomad, due to the manifestation of the harmonic 35, all increase as regards strength is checked, and after these years it is no longer possible for people to become stronger than they are. The six and seventh hebdomad determine when a man is no longer required for military service, with those in the seventh hebdomad suited to be military officers.”

Has anyone every pondered why the Romans only created 35 tribes? Now read Florus introduction and draw parallels to the above reference. You will answer your own question. There are other sources that will confirm your findings. Warning…first adopt a Roman point of view.

Nik wrote: Does the numbers theory predict or explain the varying number of legiones after the reign of Augustus, or the change in size such as the larger 1st cohort later in the C1st?

From the mathematics it is easy to define what they are doing. But reread the fifth hebdomad…play around with it and see which hebdomad the number of legions created could belong to.

I’ve been busy lately trying to understand about intercalation for the Roman calendar (lunar and solar). Caesar and Augustus both tackled this problem. The Roman calendar is mentioned as running at 455 days a year, and Augustus bans intercalation for 12 years. The cosmos calendar does not use intercalation. I’ve been trying to sync them both (the cosmos calendar with solar) by introducing intercalation to the cosmos calendar without success. So I changed my strategy and took the premise the Romans are synchronising the solar calendar to the cosmos. This could explain why there is a 455 day year, and why intercalation is associated with a few people in the primary sources, over differing spans of time. The end result is to get it to be in sync, I have to stop intercalation for 12 years, the same number of years as stated by Augustus. I simply put the numbers into the calculator, hit the equal button and there was the figure of 12. So I guess it must be another one of those mathematical coincidences that frequently pop up from time to time. This reminds me of one of those arcade games where the puppet face pops up and you have to hit it on the head. No sooner than you do, another head pops up from another hole. Every time you hit one, another pops up from a different hole. In the end there is so many popping up you are overwhelmed.
Quote:Nik wrote: Does the numbers theory predict or explain the varying number of legiones after the reign of Augustus, or the change in size such as the larger 1st cohort later in the C1st?

From the mathematics it is easy to define what they are doing. But reread the fifth hebdomad…play around with it and see which hebdomad the number of legions created could belong to.

Steven, it is your theory and thus it is your responsibility to explain why it works - my question is there because I can see nothing in your postings that does explain. I would appreciate it if you could do so.

I am now somewhat confused as to how important the number 28 is to the reign of Augustus. Initially I understood it was very important, hence you say it is the reason he kept 28 legions, however, if the loss of 3 and their not being replaced isn't important it seems to me to undermine the basic importance of the number in the first place. Could you clarify for me please. And what happens to the idea if Augustus didn't initially have 28 legions?

Also I haven't got a handle on what period you think this theory would apply to. Looks to me as though it begins with the founding of Rome, or there abouts, but what is the end date, if indeed there is one?

Finally, can I ask (yet again) when this book is to be published. You've been talking about it on various forums for many years now, but it never appears :?
Also does this whole concept just apply to the legions? Are the auxiliary cohorts and alae excluded (presumably as they weren't citizens, well apart from those that were :lol: )?
Quote:What is interesting is to research the year before Asculum and you will see three armies, two consular armies in the field and one army to protect Rome commanded by Calvinus, who interestingly enough had the power of a dictator. The last time I can remember when the Romans had two consuls and a dictator for the same year was in 494 BC. My research for this period shows a dictator commands double the number of legions as a consul. It is their rule of thumb. So with each consul having four legions, the dictator would have eight legions, which gives a total of 14 legions. If I remember correctly, wasn’t Pyrrhus that year feinting towards Rome? This would clarify why Clavinus was given dictatorial powers. It gave him legitimacy to command eight legions. Ok, be my guest and tear the 14 legion interpretation apart.
Forgive me but, if two consuls have four legions each and the dictator has eight, does that not make sixteen, or am I missing something fundamental?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
What a thread! I'm tempted to make up some formulas myself ;-)
Quote:The foundations of the Roman cosmos system are very early, and everything is built on them. Polybius’ mention of four parts confirms they are adhering to the system in Polybius time. It’s a mile stone.
Would you kindly tell us where Polybius says that the Roman camp is divided into four parts? He certainly says that it's four-sided (tetragônos) but that's what we'd expect.

In any case, I cannot see how that would be "a milestone" for your theory.

Quote:Just because you or anyone else cannot see a crucial connection with Polybius’ camp does not mean it doesn’t exist.
It would certainly help if you explained it to us.

Quote:Macedon wrote: As for the cohorts of the Polybian Romans, aren't they normally 160 (dividable by 16 and not by 60) and 100 (not dividable by 60 or 16) man strong, when necessary reinforced to 200 and 110 respectively (both numbers not dividable by either 16 or 60)?
Following you premise, a Polybian legion at 10 cohorts of 160 men amounts to 1600 men. Polybius has one legion size numbering 4200 men so you are missing 2600 men. Polybius has the legions numbering 4000 men so you are now missing 2400 men, and Polybius legion of 5000 men means you have to find another 3400 men. I have no idea where you got you numbers from but Geminos does discuss in some length a 160 year cycle.
Don't be silly. It's obvious that Macedon/George meant to write "maniple" instead of cohort.

And I assume, from your silence on the subject, that you cannot answer my other queries.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:You are correct about the power of 3. But there is more to it than that. I will say briefly, and I will not elaborate anymore as it is comprehensive in nature, but the number 3 represents the number of ages that have elapsed. When a new age begins, the new legion will have the power of 4 (representing the fourth age).

What do you mean with the "power of 3"? You mean the importance of 3 or do you mean it in a mathematical way? When did these ages begin and end?

Quote:Why do you associate triangular numbers with tactics? Some examples of triangular numbers are 1, 3, 6, 10. Some examples of square numbers are 1, 4, 9, 16, 25.

I thought you did! Maybe I misunderstood you. I thought that when you talked about the importance of these numbers you meant in a tactical way as to the military system of the Romans or the Greeks. If you are instead referring to art and architecture then I will not doubt you, I simply do not know.

Quote:I direct you to that book as it is informative and will give you and insight into ancient mathematics. And what has tactics got to do with the mathematics involved in laying out a camp? You’d be better off researching ancient surveying practices.

Surveying practices are only important in the applying of the layout. The layout itself is the key as I see it and many do relate it with tactics. If you do not it is OK by me, although I do think that there is much tactical information to be drawn from the Roman camp layout.

Quote:I got it from a Geminos fragment that was translated and sent to me. Some scholars believe Geminos lived in the 1st century BC.

? I am not aware of this being in any surviving works of Geminus. It is a comment of Proclus where Geminus is mentioned. Can you be more specific? Can you give me the ancient text provided to you?

Quote:I have explained this and I showed a relation between the number of zodiacs and the size of the cohort to arrive at the number of men in the 35 tribes and the number of men in a tribe. Hasn’t anyone realised the number of iuniores in a tribe is the same as a 4800 man legion. To arrive at that figure I used data from the primary sources which everyone is familiar with, so either its mathematical coincidence on a grand scale or I am onto something.

Were the tribes not in the beginning and almost up to the end of the first Punic War just 3? I got the idea that your system is also supposed to work for earlier times. Or do you use other variables for these times?

Quote:... The word signa can also represent a constellation, or group of stars, and as a cohort is a number of zodiacs….so the number of men in a signa can be determined.

Does the word signa mean "cohort"? In Greek, it would only be a maniple for the time of Polybius. How do maniples relate to cohorts, cohorts to legions, legions to armies etc? How many men should a Polybian maniple and a Plybian cohort have according to your system?

Quote:The primary sources are full of data crying out to be connected. I label my research “joining the dots.”

That's a good name, actually seems to also allude to constellations!

Quote:It explains. My example of defining how many men in a tribe which is determined by multiplying the cohort by how many stadia to a degree is an example.

That's a shame... :-( That means that there was no set way of relating the system to the army but that if such a system existed it is impossible to define its variables... Else you could be given a certain date and compute the tactical numbers of the era, which would make it easier to check.

Quote:The zodiac works on 700 stadia for the whole period (1200 years). The cosmos is synched to the Sothic cycle so I have no idea when one degree equals 700 stadia made its debut. As to how many kilometres a degree is, it has no relevance to my research.

Sorry.. 700 stadia of what? What distance is that, from where to where? That the world moves 700 stadia towards the zodiac in 1,200 years? (as I understood you said that the Romans believed that the world is moving towards the Zodiac?)

Quote:As I have already stated, it’s associated with the square zodiac. Just because you or anyone else cannot see a crucial connection with Polybius’ camp does not mean it doesn’t exist. Before I told you, no one had any idea of a connection to the cohort and stadia could predict the number of men in a tribe. I also found another rule of thumb practiced by the Romans - “a single division must be able to be divided into very large parts with smaller spaces or into a very small number of parts, with large spaces.”

Well.. the question is why? Is the Polybian camp a square? Does it indeed have the tent of its commander in chief in the center as you seemed to support? Is it divided in 4 equal squares? I think the answer to all the above is negative.

Where did you find this quote exactly? It sounds very interesting to my research too.

Quote:Following you premise, a Polybian legion at 10 cohorts of 160 men amounts to 1600 men. Polybius has one legion size numbering 4200 men so you are missing 2600 men. Polybius has the legions numbering 4000 men so you are now missing 2400 men, and Polybius legion of 5000 men means you have to find another 3400 men. I have no idea where you got you numbers from but Geminos does discuss in some length a 160 year cycle.

Sorry, lost in terminology. Duncan is right, I meant maniples... Cohorts are attested as 3 maniples strong. Do these numbers agree with your system or do you have other numbers?

Quote:If a 60-century legion is what is meant by a full strength legion, then why can’t a 40-century legion be under-strength, or in your words, they only have enough men to available to make a 40- century legion.

Do you mean that they would draft such legions or that they would lessen the number of cohorts according to man availability during the campaign?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Quote:The word signa can also represent a constellation, or group of stars, and as a cohort is a number of zodiacs….so the number of men in a signa can be determined.

Does the word signa mean "cohort"?

No. Signa in Latin would mean "signs", which *could* mean a Zodiac sign, I guess, but more often as in "military signs or banners (that represented a particular unit)", or the accusative singular of signum. "Ad Signa!" means "rally to the standard". Cohort is a group of 8 centuries, each of which is approx 80 men (except Cohort One, which is double size) so a cohort is at least 600 men, or 1/10 of a Legion.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I always thought that a Cohort was 480 men being 6 centuries or 3 maniplus, then taking the centurians and its officers we would come to approx' 500 men in total.
Brian Stobbs
Philus, I stand corrected. The linksource I was using that showed ten is incorrect.

1 Contubernium - 8 Men
10 Contubernia 1 Century 80 Men
2 Centuries 1 Maniple 160 Men
6 Centuries 1 Cohort 480 Men
10 Cohorts + 120 Horsemen 1 Legion 5240 Men *

*1 Legion = 9 normal cohorts (9 x 480 Men) + 1 "First Cohort" of 5 centuries (but each century at the strength of a maniple, so 5 x 160 Men) + 120 Horsemen = 5240 Men

http://www.roman-empire.net/army/army.html
Even here, there is some confusion, though, whether to count as six or nine.

I still maintain, however, that the word signa does not mean cohort.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:... 2 Centuries = 1 Maniple = 160 Men
The maniple is really a Republican phenomenon, whereas your 80-man centuria comes from a Principate source. Polybius shows some flexibility in the size of the maniple, but 160 was probably the upper limit.

Quote:I still maintain, however, that the word signa does not mean cohort.
Quite so. The cohort did not have its own standard, so there would be no logic in calling it a "standard" (the literal meaning of σημαία / signum). When Polybius uses the word, he is referring to the smallest unit known to him; namely, the maniple.
David
I hope I did not appear rude or being corrective it just threw me when I read 8 centuries, in fact where I worked at Chesters Fort on Hadrian's Wall the barrack blocks there show very clear just how a Maniple shared their contact as two centuries in fact with most forts where the 10 room blocks face each other.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Macedon wrote: This was written by Proclus in the 5th century AD. What did you mean?

I got it from a Geminos fragment that was translated and sent to me. Some scholars believe Geminos lived in the 1st century BC.
To me it looks like a fragment of Geminos; specifically Proclus is reporting something that Geminos said.

Ἀντίοχε, πῶς εὖ Ἠλλένικην ἀναγιγνώσκεις; Non glorior, nam habeo, ut poeta ait, parvam Latinam et minorem Graecam, sed saepe causam faciens exactam de sensu scriptoris citas translationes, qui conturbat me.

Thanks for explaining more of your theories.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Renatus wrote: Forgive me but, if two consuls have four legions each and the dictator has eight, does that not make sixteen, or am I missing something fundamental?

After I had posted, I was doing a few laps in the pool and realised I did not clarify that when the two urban legions are sent into the field they are assigned two allied legions, which brings the total to 16 legions. I also thought RAT members would zero in on that and I was right. I also believed members will not acknowledge the relationship between Dionysius’s numbers equating to 14 legions. I was right again. Seems for some if they can’t debunk me they ignore it, and then transfer their focus to something they believe they can debunk. The Asculum exercise highlights how authors today just follow traditional thinking without conducting their own analyst of the numbers.

Martin wrote: What a thread! I'm tempted to make up some formulas myself.

I take it you are a re-enactor. Would you be a dear and send me a photo of yourself in your ancient accoutrements? Doesn’t have to be Roman…barbarian is fine.

Campbell wrote: And I assume, from your silence on the subject, that you cannot answer my other queries

I choose not to, especially your question about the sources to the 32 man squadron question. You’ve read Arrian and Vegetius, why are you asking me. In the past you have ignored my questions, so I am reciprocating in kind. If you think it is because I cannot answer them, be my guest. I have no interest in passing on my research on the Roman army camp to you. If you haven’t in your career come across references to the division of buildings into four then that is not my problem?

Macedon wrote: When did these ages begin and end? Does the word signa mean "cohort"? In Greek, it would only be a maniple for the time of Polybius. How do maniples relate to cohorts, cohorts to legions, legions to armies etc? How many men should a Polybian maniple and a Plybian cohort have according to your system? Cohorts are attested as 3 maniples strong. Do these numbers agree with your system or do you have other numbers? Do you mean that they would draft such legions or that they would lessen the number of cohorts according to man availability during the campaign?

In all honesty if I replied as a general comment that my numbers do or do not agree with your question, then what. You will be asking for more answers.

Macedon wrote: That means that there was no set way of relating the system to the army but that if such a system existed it is impossible to define its variables...

I explained the size of the cohort multiplied by the 700 stadia to the degree equals 336,000 stadia which is transferred to 336,000 men, and when divided by 35 tribes each tribe numbers 9600 men and following Livy and Dionysius the ratio of iuniores to seniores is 50/50 you get 4800 iuniores and 4800 seniores. Breaking this down, from a 480 man cohort we get the tribe size and the size of the legion. Yet you still claim there “is no set way of relating the system to the army.” No wait, you are right; there is no way of relating the system to the army.

Macedon wrote: Sorry.. 700 stadia of what? What distance is that, from where to where? That the world moves 700 stadia towards the zodiac in 1,200 years? (as I understood you said that the Romans believed that the world is moving towards the Zodiac?)

I have in previous postings before stated that one degree equals 700 stadia when discussing the zodiac. The zodiac being a circle is divided into degrees. The cosmos, being a straight line is not divided into degrees.

Macedon wrote: When did these ages begin and end?

Florus Introduction: “If anyone were to contemplate the Roman people as he would a single individual and review its whole life, how it began, how it grew up, how it arrived at what may be called the maturity of its manhood, and how it subsequently as it were reached old age, he will find that it went through four stages of progress. The first period, when it was under the rule of kings, lasted for nearly 400 years, during which it struggled against its neighbours in the immediate vicinity of the capital. This period will be its infancy. Its next period extends from the consulship of Brutus and Collatinus to that of Appius Claudius and Quintus Fulvius, a space of 150 years, during which the Roman people subjugated Italy. It was an age of extreme activities for its soldiers and their arms, and may therefore be called its youth. The next period is the 150 years down to the time of Augustus Caesar, during which it spread peace throughout the world. This was the manhood and, as it were, the robust maturity of the empire. From the time of Caesar Augustus down to our own age there has been a period of not much less than 200 years, during which, owing to the inactivity of the emperors, the Roman people, as it were, grew old and lost its potency, save that under the rule of Trajan it again stirred its arms and, contrary to general expectation, again renewed its vigour with youth as it were restored.”

In 44 BC, as preserved by Cassius Dio (45, 18, 3), (47, 7, 1), during the funeral games of Julius Caesar a comet was visible for seven days in the northern part of the sky. The common people believed that this star signified the soul of Caesar received among the spirits of the immortal gods (Pliny Natural History 2 23, 93-94), Plutarch (Caesar 63 1), Suetonius (Caesar 88) According to Servius, (ad Verg ecl 9 47f) a haruspex by the name of Vulcatius went before a popular assembly proclaiming the new comet indicated the end of the age. This was a major event, but especially in this case, because according to official reckoning the age, now pronounced ended, had been the ninth, and many looked forward with superstitious dread to the tenth.

The above is intertwined with Florus. With regard to the ages, Virgil (Eclogue IV: The Golden Age) writes that the golden age begins with the consulship of Pollio (For, Pollio, in your consulship, this noble age begins”). Pollio’s consulship began in January 40 BC (Dio 48 15), some four years after the comet of 44 BC. The reference of Florus, Servius and Virgil I would rate as “research without depth” because it can be argued that Virgil has associated the beginning of the golden age with the signing of the treaty of Brundisium in October 40 BC, reconciling Antony with Octavian.

M. Demetrius wrote: No. Signa in Latin would mean "signs", which *could* mean a Zodiac sign, I guess.

I have a signa originally numbering 30 men, which would equate to the 30 degrees of a zodiac. However, it seems at the present to only mathematically relate to a specific time period. I haven’t come to a firm conclusion as this is on my “to do list.”

Nik wrote: Steven, it is your theory and thus it is your responsibility to explain why it works - my question is there because I can see nothing in your postings that does explain. I would appreciate it if you could do so.

You asked if I could, well I cannot. I do not have to give my research away on an internet discussion group. Like Roy said on ancmed, it blows away in the wind. It has taken me years of hard work. I have given examples of some of my research and findings to this group and it hasn’t even been acknowledge. And you turn around and have the audacity to tell me “you see nothing.”

As to the 28 legions, now if I went through books and papers, I could list a good number of academics that credit Augustus with creating 28 legions. Are they all wrong? Here’s one from the maestro himself - Duncan Campbell, taken from his Osprey Roman Legionary Fortress 27 BC – 378 AD Number 43, page 5

“When Augustus reorganized the Roman army following a generation of civil war he decided on 28 legions, which he distributed around the empire.”

This is the same Duncan Campbell who on this thread commented “So it is rather unwise of Steven to build such a radical theory (the supposed Roman veneration of the number 28) on another theory.”

Duncan Campbell never mentioned in the Osprey the 28 legions was a theory. Oh yeah, lets employ the excuse the “publishers gave him a limited amount of space.” Lets’ not forget Augustus is recorded as creating 28 military colonies. You overlooked that. But as it stands, the hebdomad 28 is only a footnote in the book and is not central to any argument. As to why Augustus didn’t replace the three lost legions I like you cannot answer. It could be Augustus was following religious observance and believed by replacing them he was violating that religious observance by theoretically creating 31 legions (includes the three replacements with the three lost). Up to the creation of the 35 tribes, I have found a distinct pattern that the Romans never raise more legions than the tribal formula dictates. If they need more men, then freedmen are mentioned being levied. However, these freedmen are to protect the walls of Rome when every iuniores is sent in the field. So in the past if the Roman limit is eight legions for a given time frame and one is lost, they replace it. As I said, Augustus does the complete opposite to this. I’ve given my thoughts on this so don’t get into a frenzy and start demanding I prove it.

Nic wrote: Finally, can I ask (yet again) when this book is to be published. You've been talking about it on various forums for many years now, but it never appears.

You mentioned me and various forums. Can you list these various forums Nik? Like how many? Your wording is making it out to be quite a lot. As to the book, it will be published when it’s published! Sorry Nic, it’s not another cut and paste book on the Roman army. It actually consists of original research derived from the primary sources, and because of its nature, it does not come with a road map. I have to make the road. I do not use the works of modern scholars either regarding the Roman army as I much of what they have to say is irrelevant to my research. Hang on, let me give you an answer that will be more satisfying. The one you really want and believe it to be. It will never be published. I’ve made it all up. I’ve been trying to string you along for years. But alas, it hasn’t worked, you are all too smart for me.

Sean Manning wrote: To me it looks like a fragment of Geminos; specifically Proclus is reporting something that Geminos said.

It’s fragment 1 Philokalia. I have a translation in pdf but now it will not open for some unknown reason.

Sean Manning wrote: Thanks for explaining more of your theories.

You are welcome. I have many more theories, with around 90% running contrary to traditional thinking, while 99% of them can be reconciled with the primary sources.
Quote:Seems for some if they can’t debunk me they ignore it, and then transfer their focus to something they believe they can debunk.
I think maybe you've lost track of the purpose of this thread, Steven. You are working on a theory which you decided to try out on a group of Roman army enthusiasts (RAT), to make sure that your theory works. Now, you're complaining when people point out deficiencies in your theory. :roll:

Quote:I choose not to, especially your question about the sources to the 32 man squadron question. You’ve read Arrian and Vegetius, why are you asking me. In the past you have ignored my questions, so I am reciprocating in kind. If you think it is because I cannot answer them, be my guest.
Contrary to your belief, I am trying to gently nudge you towards weaknesses in your theory. You clearly believe that Augustus had cavalry squadrons numbering 32 men. I have asked you to examine where you got that idea from. As you probably know, both Arrian and Vegetius are much later than Augustus.

Quote:I have no interest in passing on my research on the Roman army camp to you. If you haven’t in your career come across references to the division of buildings into four then that is not my problem?
Again, I am bewildered by your cavalier treatment of "evidence". You've said that you believe Polybius writes about a camp divided into four areas. I have asked you to examine where you got that idea from. Once you go back and read Polybius' account, you'll see that his camp is not divided into four.

Quote:I explained the size of the cohort multiplied by the 700 stadia to the degree equals 336,000 stadia which is transferred to 336,000 men, and when divided by 35 tribes each tribe numbers 9600 men and following Livy and Dionysius the ratio of iuniores to seniores is 50/50 you get 4800 iuniores and 4800 seniores.
I'm no mathematician, but I know that if I take any number and (1) multiply by 700, (2) divide by 35, and (3) break it down 50/50, I'll get my original number with a zero on the end. It's like these party tricks where you think of a number. "I'm thinking of 480." (Nudge: Why were you thinking of 480?)

Quote:I have a signa originally numbering 30 men, which would equate to the 30 degrees of a zodiac.
My initial reaction is that, if you have a signa numbering 30 men, you've made a mistake. So I'd be very interested to hear where this information comes from.

Quote:I do not have to give my research away on an internet discussion group. Like Roy said on ancmed, it blows away in the wind. It has taken me years of hard work. I have given examples of some of my research and findings to this group and it hasn’t even been acknowledge.
Again, I think you've lost sight of the original point of your own thread. I thought you wanted people to test-drive your theory? But we cannot test-drive it blindfolded.

Quote:As to the 28 legions, now if I went through books and papers, I could list a good number of academics that credit Augustus with creating 28 legions. Are they all wrong? Here’s one from the maestro himself - Duncan Campbell, taken from his Osprey Roman Legionary Fortress 27 BC – 378 AD Number 43, page 5. This is the same Duncan Campbell who on this thread commented “So it is rather unwise of Steven to build such a radical theory (the supposed Roman veneration of the number 28) on another theory.”
As you may be beginning to realise, theories evolve over time. You are correct to say that many scholars have accepted that Augustus retained 28 legions. In 2005, when I wrote that book, I agreed with them. Now, I'm not so sure. So, if your theory absolutely requires Augustus to have chosen 28 legions, I am warning you that this might not be a secure assumption. Pardon me for trying to help.

Quote:Up to the creation of the 35 tribes, I have found a distinct pattern that the Romans never raise more legions than the tribal formula dictates.
Are you aware of how many legions were under arms during the Civil War? (Another friendly nudge. :wink: )

Quote:It actually consists of original research derived from the primary sources, and because of its nature, it does not come with a road map. I have to make the road. I do not use the works of modern scholars either regarding the Roman army as I much of what they have to say is irrelevant to my research.
I would advise that you (a) check primary sources in the original, not in the Penguin translation, and (b) have a look at the "traditional thinking" of modern works, in case they shed any light on your subject. This will help to save you from any embarrassment.

Quote:I have many more theories, with around 90% running contrary to traditional thinking, while 99% of them can be reconciled with the primary sources.
See above advice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marching camp construction Stug50 24 3,606 03-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Imperial Roman Army Camp Excavated in Israel Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,374 07-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Segontium construction camp found? mcbishop 2 1,133 06-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Titus Manlius Verus