Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loeb Classical Texts - Blackwells 2 for 25 offer
Blackwells are continuing their two Loeb Classical texts for £25 offer...free postage for UK when £20 spent too, so quite a saving:

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/sear...+classical

EDIT: Oops...sorry the title is a bit misleading...its two for £25 not two for the price of one. May I ask a Moderator to amend it for me please? Thank you
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I thought this was over now? I asked a clerk last time I was there before the Christmas break and I was told that it was a celebration of the centenary and that it would end at the commencement of January.

I've just clicked on your link, I think they're discounting them generally now. WOAW. I predict that tomorrow shall be a fell day for my wallet....
Jass
Quote:I've just clicked on your link, I think they're discounting them generally now. WOAW. I predict that tomorrow shall be a fell day for my wallet....

I am hanging on to my wallet for grim death! Sadly my New Year resolution was no NEW books...dammit Confusedad:

I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...

<sigh>...it's not working Confusedhock:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:
Lyceum post=303250 Wrote:I've just clicked on your link, I think they're discounting them generally now. WOAW. I predict that tomorrow shall be a fell day for my wallet....

I am hanging on to my wallet for grim death! Sadly my New Year resolution was no NEW books...dammit Confusedad:

I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...

Moi, you might need Pliny's Natural histories, but luckily for you Amazon listst 1000s of books you don't really need Smile
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:
Lyceum post=303250 Wrote:I've just clicked on your link, I think they're discounting them generally now. WOAW. I predict that tomorrow shall be a fell day for my wallet....

You do need Pliny's Natural Histories. :twisted: It's a really great, if rather long work and full of interesting information.

Thanks for the information: there's still a few volumes of old Tully's letters which I have been waiting to acquire.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Quote:I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...I don't really need Pliny's Natural Histories at all...
Well, if you decide that you really do, you could do worse than visit the Internet Archive:
Natural History, vol. 1
Natural History, vol. 2
Natural History, vol. 3
Natural History, vol. 4
Natural History, vol. 5
Natural History, vol. 6
Natural History, vol. 7
Natural History, vol. 9
No volumes 8 and 10, unfortunately. Sad

Edit: So there's your two for £25 -- volumes 8 and 10. Bingo! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I've always fancied owning the Plutarch collection. Not at all a fan of him, rarely need him yet I think he's in something like 16 books?

For me the golden rule is buy a Loeb if it's a fairly recent and handy edition. So I desperately want Apollodoros' Bibliotheke but the book itself is very old, by Frazer, so instead I'll wait for a (hopefully) new edition. New versions of the Hesiodic fragments, Epikos Kyklos, Hymnoi and Aiskhylos recently came out, for example, and they're well worth having.

Also guys Oxbow books are also having a sale, which might be worth it.
Jass
Quote:For me the golden rule is buy a Loeb if it's a fairly recent and handy edition.

Certainly, some of the older ones are a bit odd, but few are actively to be avoided (the Vitruvius springs to mind!). If the translator has stuck to the Teubner text, there's usually no problem, don't you think?

Quote:So I desperately want Apollodoros' Bibliotheke but the book itself is very old, by Frazer, so instead I'll wait for a (hopefully) new edition.
I don't think the Teubner text (Wagner, 1894) has been superseded (although Frazer made a few emendations in the Loeb). His Greek text, English translation, and copious notes are (as you probably know) available at Perseus: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/.

His translation attracted little criticism, so it must be basically sound (apart from his bizarre version of the accursed King Minos' lovemaking, during which "he discharged wild beasts at [his lover's] joints" (εἰς τὰ ἄρθρα) -- perhaps Frazer was being prurient, or perhaps he didn't realise that arthra in the plural denote genitals).
I think the Loeb translations used to go out of their way to avoid naughtiness. Now they are adding that all back into the text in new editions.

Some Classical Profanity
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:I think the Loeb translations used to go out of their way to avoid naughtiness.
Ah, yes -- I forgot the naughty ones! (Must be getting old. :wink: )
Quote:I think the Loeb translations used to go out of their way to avoid naughtiness.

Yeah, can be rather fun trying to compare the early-1900s English version of Martial to the Latin text on the other side... :mrgreen:
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Quote:I think the Loeb translations used to go out of their way to avoid naughtiness. Now they are adding that all back into the text in new editions.

Some Classical Profanity
I recently had occasion to check the English of the Loeb while reading Lucian's True Story. Among the less awkward circumlocutions was "right genital gland" for ὄρχιν τὸν δεξιὸν. It seems that if you love the classics, you should love them as they are- half the fun is that they don't think or write like 21st century literati.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:No volumes 8 and 10, unfortunately. Sad

Edit: So there's your two for £25 -- volumes 8 and 10. Bingo! Big Grin

GREAT...you've just saved me £100 so spending £25 seems fine to me Big Grin ...and Volume 10 is one of the ones I am particularly interested in :wink:

Thank you, Duncan, once more for your help! Big Grin

And thank you to the kind Moderator who corrected my error.
Moi Watson

Quote:
Lyceum post=303275 Wrote:For me the golden rule is buy a Loeb if it's a fairly recent and handy edition.

Certainly, some of the older ones are a bit odd, but few are actively to be avoided (the Vitruvius springs to mind!). If the translator has stuck to the Teubner text, there's usually no problem, don't you think?

Quote:So I desperately want Apollodoros' Bibliotheke but the book itself is very old, by Frazer, so instead I'll wait for a (hopefully) new edition.
I don't think the Teubner text (Wagner, 1894) has been superseded (although Frazer made a few emendations in the Loeb). His Greek text, English translation, and copious notes are (as you probably know) available at Perseus: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/.

His translation attracted little criticism, so it must be basically sound (apart from his bizarre version of the accursed King Minos' lovemaking, during which "he discharged wild beasts at [his lover's] joints" (εἰς τὰ ἄρθρα) -- perhaps Frazer was being prurient, or perhaps he didn't realise that arthra in the plural denote genitals).

True, true. But as you say the text is available on Perseus Tufts and in order for me to part with my meager funds it has to be a fully worthwhile volume i.e good text and translation. There are times when it's worth getting the loeb just for the text though, like West (2003) Greek Epic Fragments.

The older translations are peculiar when it comes to "vulgarness" I know some omit to translate at all and others put dirty Greek into Latin. I've heard that dirty Latin, presumably like Martial or perhaps Juvenal's socratic cinaedi, were put into Italian since it was considered to be a "bawdy" language. :S
Jass