Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks and lesson learned. lol
So I, like others, joined up on this site for advice and guidance when looking into building a nice Roman kit.
In my haste though, I purchased a segmentata from a dealer I knew nothing about, aside from the price being a "I can get this right now" deal. It was supposed to be my "go piece", as in the old expression "one for show and one for go".
Once receiving it, I couldn't wait to try it out at fight practice.
My first warning should have came when the uncomfortable thing didn't seem to fit correctly. It was also a bit shorter than I expected it to be. But hey...it was just stuff to get beat on while wearing.
After all the complementary "hey that looks nice" from some of my fighting mates, it was time to put on my helm and get to the fighting. It was only then I realized, I couldn't get my arms up high enough to put my helm on. Still...not wanting to believe I bought junk, I wrote it off as "tight leather" in the shoulders, that would not be so stiff after it gets worked in a bit. I pick up my shield and sword, and make my way to the fighting area.
My first fight started out ok, as in I looked really cool getting into my fighting stance before they said lay on. My first shot I threw was supposed to be a cross over head shot...which didn't get above shoulder level due to me not being able to get my own arm up that high. Then came the first hit I took. It was a great shot to my shield side shoulder. Not being able to raise my shield, it was a solid hit. The next hit quickly came almost straight down the right side of my chest. Again, nice solid hit. That was when the "HOLD" was called.
The hit to my shoulder had ripped the "pins" right out of the leather causing 2 lames to dangle sideways from 2 bent hinges, and the shot to my chest tore the buckle and straps right out of the armor, making a whole side slump down, and the horizontal buckle side pin had fallen out of the hinge. My $200 armor I finally admitted, was $200 junk. I felt shame like I never had before.
So, the moral of the story, for me anyway, is "pay attention to those who know, and don't sacrifice good advice for fast gain".
So, to all my fellow RAT guys and gals, that have offered me and so many others quality advice, and most importantly, reputable dealers, thank you. It just so happened that in this case, I was the fool who was soon parted with his money. A mistake I hope not to make again. But I did see this awesome priced Trooper helm on ebay....lol
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
"I\'ll Either Find A Way Or Make One" from Hannibal

John Pruitt
Don't beat yourself up too much, I imagine we have all been down that road, at least I know that I have and anyone who has seen my musculata curaiss will confirm that! LOL

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What have we learned from history? Jona Lendering 36 6,010 12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Learned anything from history? richsc 5 1,852 09-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Hunnish-Magyar language lesson. Treveri Gaul 60 12,155 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Treveri Gaul