Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pteruges, subarmalis, the Lorica Segmentata
Good morning all,

I was wondering if we can document the common legionary wearing a Subarmalis with pteruges under their lorica segmentata?

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, I'm rather a N00B here.

Best regards to all,

Scott
Hi Scott

To the best of my knowledge, there does not appear to be any evidence that has segmentata worn with ptergyes.

Maille and Scale, yes. But Seggie seems to be its own.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:I was wondering if we can document the common legionary wearing a Subarmalis with pteruges under their lorica segmentata?
There are some here (p.21 and onwards) but it is not of the highest credibility ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Excellent! Thank you guys. Smile
I made my Pteruges so they are on a seperate belt in case I want to do both.

Big Grin
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Dr. Bishop,

When I log in with facebook, it still does not allow me to download the Segmentata volume. Do I have to register with that other website besides facebook to get the book?

Thank you
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
My personal gusto is, that I very much dislike the subarmalis. It would always give me blisters on my shoulders, when marching more than 4 miles.
Therefore I believe wearing a subarmalis only was done by few legionaires who liked it.
Quote:When I log in with facebook, it still does not allow me to download the Segmentata volume. Do I have to register with that other website besides facebook to get the book?
Sorry, Scribd appear to have reduced the accessibility of material and I am looking to ditch them in favour of a more usable service (or just stick the books on my website if all else fails). Give me a while to sort it out.

Mike Bishop

Thank you Dr. Bishop. Looking foward to the upgrade and the volume.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Works fine for me...both the article and the subarmalis!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:Thank you Dr. Bishop. Looking foward to the upgrade and the volume.
I've just tried it at http://www.mcbishop.co.uk/armatura/vol1.htm using a browser that is not signed into any accounts (which I use for testing stuff like this) and it had no trouble seeing it and the download button seemed to work. Could you give it another go and let me know the result?

Mike Bishop

Download works for me. Now to get my eyes on the pages and learn some new stuff. I'm a month from beginning a set of seg for myself. Looks to me that the hinges will take as long as the steel work, if not longer.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thank you Dr. Bishop. I was able to get the files. They are truly excellent work. :grin:

Paolo
Quote:My personal gusto is, that I very much dislike the subarmalis. It would always give me blisters on my shoulders, when marching more than 4 miles.
Therefore I believe wearing a subarmalis only was done by few legionaires who liked it.

Blisters on your shoulders from the subarmalis??? :?: :?:

What exactly did you make your from? rawhide and leather?
I have never experienced any discomfort whatso ever from a subarmalis.
However, if it is not protecting yo ufrom the armour chaffing, then it may be poorly designed?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What was the cause of the blisters? A seam or something?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 270 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,782 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,934 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs