Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosaics found in Wales
Anyone got any decent colour pics of floor mosaics found in Wales? Got some small ones (20cm x 20cm)to do for a client there and I'm having a bit of a problem finding any.
Tvm
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Quote:Anyone got any decent colour pics of floor mosaics found in Wales? Got some small ones (20cm x 20cm)to do for a client there and I'm having a bit of a problem finding any.
I think I'm right in saying the best ones are from the legionary baths at Caerleon, so the full report by David Zienkiewicz would probably be a good starting point:

Zienkiewicz, J.D. 1986: The Legionary Fortress Baths at Caerleon. Vol.2 The Finds, Cardiff

Others were found in the 19th century include Caerwent and Pil Bach, and there is an antiquarian publication that contains some of those (Isca Silurum by J.E. Lee, pp.47–8, 213–14).

You might also want to try

S. R. Cosh and D. S. Neal 2010: Roman Mosaics of Britain, Volume IV: West Britain, London

although at £160, probably one best consulted in a library.
by

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I have some photos of the baths mosaic(s) I took last year of they're of interest...PM me your email address if you'd like to see them.

Oh...and the one they have in the National Museum too...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks Mike, I will look up the Cosh one. I wasn't sure whether that volume had been published.
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com