Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new King Arthur movie
www.ioanonline.com/galler...me=album84<br>
<br>
Pictures from Bruckheimer's new movie...as usual a highly anachronistic and inaccurate recreation of Late Romans and Romano-Britons... <p></p><i></i>
Some of this I guessed before I even opened the page:<br>
<br>
Vast Saxon horde implied by closely bunched “What’s in YOUR wallet?â€ÂÂ
You can watch the trailer here:<br>
<br>
kingarthur.movies.go.com/main.html<br>
<br>
Yes, it has quite a few anachronisms but I honestly couldn't care one bit. I think it looks great. <p></p><i></i>
Yes, what is the deal with that "blue painted Braveheart Pict lady" - in rawhide bondage gear? Presumably she's in the picture so blue-painted pict girls can 'relate to the story' - quite an important consideration in movies these days, as I was informed when trying to pitch my seven hour epic screenplay about Simon Stylites...<br>
<br>
Is this the same King Arthur film that has Ray Winstone in it, or is that a rival? I saw some stills of that one some time ago. There was a screenplay on the web of a K.A film 'in production' too, complete with stills of assorted muddy types charging about - it also featured much Avalonic musing about 'The Goddess' and how She was being replaced by 'The Christian God' (this being A Bad Thing). Same film? Yet another different film? Are there going to be a sudden glut of Celtick Twilight Arthurian movies? Will we ever know? Do we care? &c <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
I love that of the Saxon charge in front of the cars.. Somehow it sums up in one what's wrong with the film! And yet, considering it's all fantasy, it may not be a bad mvie to watch and laugh about <br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A quick check has revealed that 'King Arthur' does indeed feature Ray Winstone. Excellent! Hopefully he'll be doing his usual beer-sodden cockney impression ("who stuck that fackin sword in that fackin stone?" etc)<br>
<br>
This picture:<br>
www.ioanonline.com/galler...9&id=ka_BB<br>
also suggests that two-sword-dude Sir Lancelot will be played by TV wizard David Blaine! In really neat plastic armour! In fact, poor old King Arthur looks a bit vexed in that shot - he must have realised that the Saxon army have invented the motor car and equipped themselves with SUVs. <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Yes...<br>
You take Xena the warrior queen, Conan the Barb, Gladiator and the Fall of the Roman Empire. Pour in a shaker. Shake well. You get an Arthur. Serve cold with comments like "Its the REAL story, trust us, we're professionals, we're into PR..."<br>
You may add a little paper umbrella, that won't make it worse anyways.<br>
What a waiste of money<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<br>
<br>
They think that nowadays "Fantasy" pay more at the box-office than a correct "History" to entertain. I really think they're wrong: I'm sure that if you give the people enough "quality" in the historic genre, people will love it a lot. It's just to be added right modern "emotions", "thrill", right actors, right locations and the "historic" genre will override the "Fantasy" one. Simply because real "History" surpasses the fantasy. And if you look for heroes, kings, warriors, bloody battles, sorcery, strange religions, miracles, lot of gods, paranormal, strange phenomena, myths, legends, dragons (Why not? Ask Dan and loads of any sort of stuff, History already has them...<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Hi<br>
I agree that history would certainly entertain.<br>
It is unfortunate that most producers and writers are, just to put it mildly, idiots!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Lancelot, the two-sword dude, is played by Ioan Gruffudd, as anyone would know who had watched the "Hornblower" TV mini-series.<br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
"<em>Lancelot, the two-sword dude, is played by Ioan Gruffudd, as anyone would know who had watched the "Hornblower" TV mini-series."</em><br>
<br>
Aw, I knew that really, I'm just messing about! <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Hmmm, I took you seriously only because I have no idea who David Blaine is...<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>This obviously brings to mind recent theories of Sarmatian influence on Romano-British armies.<hr><br>
I think I read that the story concerns the Sarmatians resettled in Britain by Marcus Aurelius. Or maybe I was dreaming? <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Vincula,<br>
<br>
You'd like "Island of Ghosts," really excellent book. It'd make a great movie as well, though I'm not holding my breath.<br>
<br>
Gregg <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>You'd like "Island of Ghosts"<hr><br>
Haven't heard of that one. Presumably you don't mean [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684191075/qid=1082572965/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/103-3268694-1676603?v=glance&s=books" target="top]this book[/url]! <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History Channel program on King Arthur Anonymous 14 2,871 06-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Arthur, King of the Britons Q Rutilius 2 1,202 01-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Last Post: derek forrest