Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Furniture
Yes, I found many of these Renaissance period chairs, all claiming to be inspired by Roman and Greek era chairs...but no originals...

I ordered a simple one for about 45euro from Germany, but only going on the traders sayso.
Frustrating. But will use it until there is definate proof the yare not based on ancient pieces.
A compromise, but until I leather the folding stools, will have to do.
I am at a loss to know where to look, apart from ask a professor..... :-? (not that I know many)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Byron,

I see that you too have the same problem having to go on the hearsay of the manufacturer. Would you happen to have the name of this place you purchased your chair from. The ones that I have seen expect something in the 500 dollars US.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
The folding stools I've seen have that peculiar cut out on one side, and no central bar. This always seems so incredibly weak for a military campaign. The odd folding does not seem to save much space. Except, when you consider how important toilets are to Romans. The Latrina and Fornicae book made me consider, plus the idea that most of these are found in camps, that they're actually portable toilet seats. Which means that they don't have to be all that strong, and when not on campaign are stored in a fort and probably forgotten about.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Hmmm, they are pretty robust...but then you would want that for a toilet seat too.... :wink: :wink:
Would want to fall into the latrine now, would you?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'll try to make pictures this weekend in the museum, i think they have one, also the RMO in Leiden Netherlands has one.
keep you posted.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
We use fairly simple wooden folding seats with leather covers.

[attachment=2955]IMG_2039s.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[attachment=2969]Afbeelding051.jpg[/attachment]
Folding stool (iron) from the Thermen museum heerlen, original find a grave in Maastricht.

aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:Folding stool (iron) from the Thermen museum heerlen, original find a grave in Maastricht.

Is that a stool or a table frame? There are similar finds from Nijmegen which are most probably folding tables instead of stools.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wooden folding stool (reproduction with originals pieces next to it) in Museum het Valkhof (Nijmegen, The Netherlands) from womens grave in Hatert, Nijmegen

[Image: DSC04978.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
don't know have to ask??
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Hi,
I took this picture at the Museo della Civilta Romana last year
[attachment=2985]IMG_5215.jpg[/attachment]

TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxi.be">www.legioxi.be
Quote:I took this picture at the Museo della Civilta Romana last year
Nice! Difficult to say of course whether it's metal or wood (but I opt for the latter).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
In that sculpture, that bar that goes across in the back with what appears to be a pillow on it, is it representing a high back rest with arm rests? If you were to look at a chair straight on, it would appear to have a linear back rest and the arm rests projecting towards the viewer would be two knobs or just become part of the rear piece.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Good observation Doc, and thanks for posting that picture.
It says it all really!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Chad, if your looking for info on other forms of furniture a book I would strongly recommend is A.T. Croom's "Roman FUrniture" published by Tempus. I've done a quick look on Amazon and it is certainly available on their British site for £16.99.
It covers a whole range of items from chairs, cupboards, bed's couches etc and the related soft furnishings. Plenty of line drawings and photos of source material. If you have access to a good carpenter with an adventurous spirit you may be able to commission the work.
Vale

Maximio

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm">http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm

Pete Noons in a past life