Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae Film!
Quote:[quote]

I think the best film would be a surealistic portrayal of Phocian hoplites wondering about the meaning of life while encamped beside an idyllic forest path. They wax all Walden over the meaning of existence and the role of their little polis as caught between the Scylla of Sparta and the Charybdis of Persia. The movie climaxes with their reveries broken by a frantic alarm and a hurried flight up a small hillock to watch all of the pretty persian colors as the immortals march past.

:lol:

(I had somehow missed this Paul)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=314105 Wrote:Guess it's time to read some of Christians books..

However, I will always have a fond spot for Gates of Fire, as it got me back on track.

Definitely, I remember bugging Dithyrambus about them a while ago too until he gave in and read them. As a Classicist, I won't say they're perfect, but they're probably the best (only) novels on the ancient world which actually have a sense of...well evocative of the source culture. Though I disliked the third tyrant novel and the others....well, aren't as good.

Pressfield etc are all right but they often seem "plastic".

Yes, it seemed that the culture of the times was well presented and I just felt transported by Christian's books, though I am a little mad at him for killing my favorite character in book three ( :wink: ) Haven't read the fourth in the series yet (King of the Bosporus).

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Bother. Now I'm going to have to go and look at Christian's books as well but at least that means I can avoid the new novel about Achilles and Patroclus (their love story :roll: )

And yes, rent 1614 by all means but don't buy a copy. Long, convoluted plot with so many subtitles it's almost impossible to follow!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Thermopylae Film! Macedon 4 1,197 02-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo