Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetius, the pilum and the spiculum
Quote: I believe the Roman foot was an inch smaller than the American foot, so 11" roughly equals a Roman foot

American foot??? Confusedhock:

I feel a little faint.

Must go and lie down to contemplate the fall of Empire and the lack of Imperial Measurements...

:mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
There are some indications that pilum may still have been in use when Ammianus wrote his history. He only mentions the use of the pilum twice in his entire work, and both times are during the reign of Valentinian I. Ammianus stated that Valentinian was 'an inventor of arms', and I have seen quotes elsewhere that he was also an innovator. It's mooted that the author of the rather odd 'De Rebus Bellicis' dedicated that work to Valentinian and we know that a number of the suggestions in that book were taken up by both Valentinian and Valens (mile forts, coinage changes, and possibly the infamous 'currus drepanus' scythed chariot as there is a mention of this within Vegetius which is almost identical with the written description plus the drawings in the De Rebus Bellicis).

However, whatever the case may be, it does appear the spiculum replaced the pilum as it performed the pilum's role with also the ability to be used as an effect hand to hand weapon. If only mention of spiculum were in Vegetius then we might query it, but as its also mentioned in Ammianus and the Scriptores Historia Augusta then its a good bet it was in wide use during the 4th Century AD at least.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:American foot???

I feel a little faint.
Britain continues to inch toward full use of the metric system. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:American foot???

I feel a little faint.
Britain continues to inch toward full use of the metric system. :lol:

Big Grin

England doesn't :wink:

Ah...fair Albion :mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Is this an Ebay spiculum?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANCIENT-ROMAN-...3359wt_872
Maybee it is....maybee its a bit of farmers iron from his field....who knows as the context is lost.
Iron does not take long to oxidise in the soil/any type of soil....i would stay well clear,but would ask the question..."How do you know it is?"
Kevin
Kevin
thanks Kevin, I have no intention of going anywhere near, but it's useful to see quite how lost these things become through trading. I'm still interested in the dimensions with ref to the similar-ish bits that were thrown up at Church Stowe and Hunsbury Hill. I've tracked down their locations so I wanted some visual references to compare the originals with.
Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=306440 Wrote:The roman Inch is a different length, though, i cant rember how many centimeters it was anyone know?

I believe the Roman foot was an inch smaller than the American foot, so 11" roughly equals a Roman foot

At 29.5 cm the Pes Drusianus is the Roman foot putting it at almost 12 inches.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spiculum vice Pilum Anonymous 2 1,174 09-23-2002, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Anonymous