Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient army numbers
Quote:I will have to find this. And add it to my list of 'to reads'.

I still believe we can not totally discount the massive size of the invasion force.
What would be stopping the supply lines being cut, if there was not a garrison of the areas the forces moved through?
First off, I don't know of any evidence that there were land supply lines (in the sense of a continuous flow of supplies overland from Persian Thrace). Ancient armies didn't use huge detachments to hold conquered territory; Alexander and the Romans used a few thousand second-rate troops scattered widely, and messengers with small bodyguards.

Edit: Xerxes and Alexander also used hostages (you don't think that all those troops Alexander brought along from Thrace and Greece but hardly used were there for their fighting value do you? If anyone in Thrace had rebelled, Alexander had a lot of influential men he could kill in various interesting ways)
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=306857 Wrote:I will have to find this. And add it to my list of 'to reads'.

I still believe we can not totally discount the massive size of the invasion force.
What would be stopping the supply lines being cut, if there was not a garrison of the areas the forces moved through?
First off, I don't know of any evidence that there were land supply lines (in the sense of a continuous flow of supplies overland from Persian Thrace). Ancient armies didn't use huge detachments to hold conquered territory; Alexander and the Romans used a few thousand second-rate troops scattered widely, and messengers with small bodyguards.

I think they might have kept some troops on the Hellespont though.
WTF did you get 4 million men from???? Confusedhock:

I don't recall that figure ever being mentioned in any sources?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Herodotus. Five million, in fact.
Quote:Exactly. You can't move 4 million men through the hot gates in three days. See Delbruck's paragraphs on the lengths of marching columns.

Where is this figure mentioned anywhere? You have totally lost me there.
And while it has bee na long time since I read up on this, I seem to recal lthere being mention of the entire progress, which included the need to hold the route back, open.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Herodotus. Five million, in fact.

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :lol:

You sure it wasn't 10 million? I can't recall exactly what my translation of herdotus said, but 5 million??? I couldn't buy that figure either. :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Roach post=306870 Wrote:Herodotus. Five million, in fact.

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :lol:

You sure it wasn't 10 million? I can't recall exactly what my translation of herdotus said, but 5 million??? I couldn't buy that figure either. :lol:

10 million? Whatever floats your boat. :mrgreen:
No, not at all Peter. 8-)

However, as I said, while I figure the figures quoted, whatever they really are, are inflated, I
still think the army and logistics train involved may well have numbered close to a million men.
It would be a feasable figure, and one easily latched onto and used to, as has been said, exaggerate the opposing combat forces. The Empire was a fair bit larger than Greece, after all.

I seem to vaugely recall a figure of either 400,000 or 140,000 being mentioned as the force
Xerxes left behind with , was it Marodonius?, after he was defeated at Salamis?
Still a huge figure.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Alexander the Great and the Logistic of the Macedonian Army is the best analysis on ancient logistics and the limitations it puts on the army size. Cured me totally from inflated numbers so popular in 'my empire is bigger than yours' online debates.
Ah, thanks for that. Despite all arguments here, I still fail to see how a kingdom like Xerxes' Persia could field an army of millions, or even as many as 500.000 (AND feed them) where the Romans had a maximum force (NOT in an expeditionary army) of 600.000+ and Napoleon (whose early modern industrial society is incomparable to the 5th c. BC tribal kingdoms) fielded an army of similar size, but failed miserably, losing 90% :!: of them in one campaign.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps the good fortune of holding the multiple bread baskets of the ancient world at the very center of their empire for a lot longer than the Campaign of Alexander lasted??
Or the Romans?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:No, not at all Peter. 8-)

However, as I said, while I figure the figures quoted, whatever they really are, are inflated, I
still think the army and logistics train involved may well have numbered close to a million men.
It would be a feasable figure, and one easily latched onto and used to, as has been said, exaggerate the opposing combat forces. The Empire was a fair bit larger than Greece, after all.

I seem to vaugely recall a figure of either 400,000 or 140,000 being mentioned as the force
Xerxes left behind with , was it Marodonius?, after he was defeated at Salamis?
Still a huge figure.

A million men?
Let's see. 3 million liters of water per day, ~5 thousand tonnes of food per day not counting the pack animals. Yeah, sure. :mrgreen:

Remember, the whole army was previously assembled before Sardis. Which means it both had to fit in the plain, and it had to be sustained in a single quite remote province.
Let's be honest here - is there any other ancient army you'd attribute a million men to?
So you don't think there was any logisitcs suppost streching back to the empire at all,
just all went with the Army? Ok whatever floats your boat.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What kind of logistics support was possible in your version? There were no railroads. Armies generally lived off the land or their immediate provinces. It was impossible to move such amounts of food and water over large distances, mainly because of the slow communications and the fact that the supply train needs supplies as well.

The fleet couldn't have been a worthwhile lifeline either, because fleets were already inefficient with food and water resources, having to land almost every day and consuming large amounts of supplies.
Well Peter, in your version we have no recourse to the sources at all, no logistics, no supply by sea, or land, and some one has already discounted the living off the land, garrisoning the hostile lands, and the road(s) in Anatolia no longer exists, and while they spent three years gathering the army, they did not need to supply it from anywhere except where they were ?? Right-i-oh! :-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Ancient army numbers Macedon 12 3,428 07-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning