Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City of Rome Marathon
I will be running the City of Rome Marathon on March 18th. We arrive in Rome on The Ides. I am getting excited.

This will be my second time running that race (29th marathon overall), and I CAN NOT WAIT!!! My training this time has not been the best (work, family, weather issues), but I know once the gun goes off, I will be running in my second home.

Running a marathon in Rome is like running through a museum. The start and finish lines are in the shadow of The Coliseum. The last mile is my favorite - you run past the Palatine Hill, past the Circus Maximus, turn left on Via San Gregorio, and straight in front of you are the Arch of Constantine and slightly offset is The Coliseum. With crowds waving you on, it feels like your very own triumph.

If you have ever run a marathon (26.2 MILES), you know what I mean. I ran the "original" marathon course in 2010 in Athens, but nothing compare to Rome, in my humble opinion. I am tempted to run it in my lorica segmentata and my gallic g, but that might be stretching it a bit too far. (I ran a costume half marathon in Chicago last October wearing my helmet -- BIG mistake!)

Wish me luck, comrades! I will be thinking of you as I pass the Capitoline!
Very cool and impressive!

My wife would love to run that one but we go to Italy in September. Unfortunately I can't run, bad knees. It's a bi-product of my line of work.

All the best, hopefully there won't be any snow! :grin:
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony