Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Military Diet
Article in Britannia Vol 2 1971 by R W Davies.

I can only find this via JSTOR (£12 :roll: ) - may I ask if anyone has a copy they would be happy to let me have?

Thank you.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Check your mailbox! Confusedmile:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Ooh! Thank you VERY much...

<potters off to check the mail>
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
It's a bit late now but you will find this and much more besides in R.W.Davies, Service in the Roman Army (David J. Breeze & Valerie A. Maxfield (eds.)), Edinburgh, 1989. Amazon has some second-hand copies, a couple at fairly reasonable prices, although, excellent as it is, you would not want to pay £244.95 for it new!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks for the "heads up" on this book. Sounds very interesting, but the cheapest used copy on the US Amazon site is $120 in paperback.

I haven't got the money anyway, but at that price I wonder if any publisher would consider a reprint, which then leads me to wonder if this is the type of book that Ancient Warfare Magazine might consider publishing either as a book, or perhaps one 'chapter' / paper per issue of the magazine.

Just wild speculation.

Thanks again for the info.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thank you gentlemen - very helpful

I have tracked down a reasonble sounding second hand, paperback copy. Having read the article kindly supplied above it is stuffed full of information and very well referenced so, if the rest of the book is of equal quality, it may well be worth the money...if I hadn't already acquired one or two books this week alone from reading this Forum! :roll:

New Year's resolution not to buy new books well and truly dead...although this one wouldn't be a new book would it?:wink:
Moi Watson

...by the way are you aware of this bookseller? Lots of availability for the US as well as Europe (and world wide for that matter):

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

Not that I wish to feed your habit or anything :mrgreen:
Moi Watson

Quote:Having read the article kindly supplied above it is stuffed full of information and very well referenced so, if the rest of the book is of equal quality, it may well be worth the money...
Roy Davies sounds as if he was an amazing guy who died way too young. In my opinion, the sloppy editing of his "collected papers" did not do him justice. Having said that, if you don't have access to the original papers, I suppose you must make do with the book. And it's quite nicely produced by EUP.
Quote:Roy Davies sounds as if he was an amazing guy who died way too young. In my opinion, the sloppy editing of his "collected papers" did not do him justice.
He was a very nice man and an entertaining speaker. I still smile when I think of him telling the story of Nonius Datus and the aqueduct. What don't you like about the editing, by the way?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:He was a very nice man and an entertaining speaker.
I knew he would be! Confusedmile:

Quote:What don't you like about the editing, by the way?
Reviewed in Scottish Archaeological Review, Vol. 8 (1991).
May one ask how your review was received?
Moi Watson

Quote:May one ask how your review was received?
:lol: No comment.

If you decide to buy the paperback, please let me know whether any corrections were made. That will renew my faith in book reviews.
Quote:
If you decide to buy the paperback, please let me know whether any corrections were made. That will renew my faith in book reviews.

Well, it was relatively inexpensive and it includes a copy of the Latomus article which I was having trouble in finding (the animals and remounts one)but no; the errors you pointed out are still in the notes. They are also all in the back of the book which I don't really like; the article with it all on a page was much better.

In fairness I should point out that the paperback book was listed as 1991 (first edition no less) and as your article did not appear until the same year perhaphs that's the reason?

Still exceptionally good stuff in it though! Perhaps the later editions are corrected? :wink:
Moi Watson