Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My pugio
I just tried out my new macro lens (thank you, Canon!) and made a few pics of my pugio. The blade and the handle pieces are a reconstruction of the Haltern pugio by XorX (Jürgen Graßler), based on the metallurgical publication of the blade. The handle inlays in silver and brass and the handle construction is also that of the Haltern pugio, made by the wonderful Luc De Vos. Scabbard is after the find from the Auerberg, slightly modified in proportion to fit the blade. Scabbard was also made by Luc De Vos, and is inlayed with niello, brass and red enamel.

[attachment=3104]IMG_0312.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3105]IMG_0318.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3106]IMG_0319.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3107]IMG_0320.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3108]IMG_0321.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3109]IMG_0322.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3110]IMG_0323.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Wow, what can I say, simply superb quality and craftsmanship Confusedhock: ! Any idea of the purpose of the peculiar blade tip? Is it just to strengthen it?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Beautiful
Wow.

Legion: TBD
Want!
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Gorgeous sheath and hilt !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Jyrki, the blade tip is almost square. The tip of the original may have been originally more pointy, though, and may have worn off during use. We´ll make some cutting and stabbing experiments this spring or early summer...
=D
Christian K.

Matthew, I do not see much sense in having such an item for reenactment. It makes sense in a didactical or experimental context, but for just using it on a couple of weekends per a year to carry it around it were a rather costly show-off item... I was wearing it on our march to see wear and tear, as well as to see how the metal behaves in terms of corrosion etc... but to other events I don´t take it, normally.
Christian K.

Masterly craftsmanship on both items.

I particularly like the close ups of the blade (good lens!).
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Now that I can see the photos, I agree. Very nice work on the scabbard and handle. I see the phobia of the Swastika has vanished amoung German reenactors!?

Christian, it is up to the individual to wear what they want to events. The more accurate the impression, whether you are on route marches or not, is what we have been striving for.
Unfortunately, quality reconstructions are charged for like gold.
While not everyone has the luxury of time for such long term experimantal events, it is important that re-enacters look authentic whether for a one day show, or a week long march.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Now that I can see the photos, I agree. Very nice work on the scabbard and handle. I see the phobia of the Swastika has vanished amoung German reenactors!?

Depends. If I wear it in public, I put the pugio with the backside forward into the scabbard. We had a long discussion whether to have it on or not, but since this is the only pugio with a full metallurgical report, we decided to have a complete redo. It is the only one in our group, though.

Quote:Christian, it is up to the individual to wear what they want to events.
Of course. What made you think I thought the opposite?
Quote:The more accurate the impression, whether you are on route marches or not, is what we have been striving for.
Of course. Some with more some with less success. But there is something like common sense of "enough" already, e.g. almost nobody has full reconstructions starting from ore, made only with period tools, e.g.
Quote:Unfortunately, quality reconstructions are charged for like gold.
Depends on what you judge to be quality. Some people assume that high price equals quality. Must not necessarily be the case, though. Some really expensive items that are available from some craftsmen or vendors e.g. are very based on bad research or no research or on conjecture. This is not bad if there are no originals extant, but very bad if some are.
Quote:While not everyone has the luxury of time for such long term experimantal events, it is important that re-enacters look authentic whether for a one day show, or a week long march.
That is what I meant above. They should look authentic. At least when it is a public event. There is no need to go beyond the looks. So, if a pugio were in a scabbard the whole event it would not make much sense to have such a blade or a blade at all IMO. The visible part, i.e. handle and sheath would be enough. Theoretically.
I tend to think differently from many reenactors: "Why am I making this impression?" and start from there. The next question is "What do I need, then?" If I were happy to have a specific item just because I were a collector, also fine. Then there is a use. I think that many people buy all kinds of expensive stuff without ever taking these two steps first.

@ Vindex:
It is this one. Really amazing.
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Christian K.

Impressive work, I guess the costs are in the thousands, are they?
But what envy most is that you have a camera actually getting all the details Wink

Is there a "Schauseite", i.e. can you easily turn the dagger to hide the swastika or will that be noted?
(On a more general note, that is an accurate reconstruction, and the swastika is not prominent at all. That is an ENTIRELY different matter than what Ulfhednar e.g. with their ridiculous standard did, which was inaccurately and prominently featuring swastikas)
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
This is a work of art!
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Quote:It is this one. Really amazing.
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Jealous! I'd love to see similar images of the the rst of your equipment.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Impressive work, I guess the costs are in the thousands, are they?

Yup.

Quote: Is there a "Schauseite", i.e. can you easily turn the dagger to hide the swastika or will that be noted?
The frontside is much nicer, but the backside has also inlays.

Quote:Jealous! I'd love to see similar images of the the rst of your equipment.
I´ll make some of my sword tonight :-)
Christian K.