Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re enactment group in North East England
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and signed up as it appears there are alot of like minded people on here. I was wondering if anyone knows of any re enactment groups in the North East of England.

I'm aware of Roma Antiqua but i cant find any contact details for them. Any details for them or any other groups would be appreciated.
Hello Liam

I am surprised that you have not already been press ganged by COMITATUS, but perhaps their recruiting officer is still in the tavern. Big Grin

I am sure they will be in touch as their CO resides here on RAT.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
What period are you interested in Liam?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I'm new to the forum and signed up as it appears there are alot of like minded people on here. I was wondering if anyone knows of any re enactment groups in the North East of England.

I'm aware of Roma Antiqua but i cant find any contact details for them. Any details for them or any other groups would be appreciated.
The obvious one is Quinta, the cohors V Gallorum based at South Shields. Not many re-enactment groups can boast a three-storey reconstructed fort gateway as a prop ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
There's a group associated with Arbeia Roman Fort in South Shields.

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/arbeia/
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Hello Liam

I am surprised that you have not already been press ganged by COMITATUS, but perhaps their recruiting officer is still in the tavern. Big Grin

I am sure they will be in touch as their CO resides here on RAT.

Graham.

I've seen them, but i think they are generally too far out of my travel range when looking at their events calendar.
Quote:What period are you interested in Liam?

Im mostly interested in anything under the "Swords and sandles eras" But more specifically Greece from the Persia to Peloponnesian war, Imperial Roman Empire and ideally Gladatorial combat.
To McBishop and Vindex, thanks I've actually managed to get in touch with this group since my original post. they are sending me some information . I believe they are 3rd century aux re enactors.
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=307602 Wrote:What period are you interested in Liam?

Im mostly interested in anything under the "Swords and sandles eras" But more specifically Greece from the Persia to Peloponnesian war and the Roman empire.

Well, that still is pretty broad. As for re-enactment it might be wise to focuss on a very timeframe (of say 50 years at most) and region. This way it can be work (and expenses) enough already.

Comitatus was already mentioned, which is a late Roman period.
Quita gallorum shows just sometime earlier, the 3rd century.
Furthermore there is Romanorum, which focus on the late roman period, too, especially cavalry.
For the most popular period within the Roman era, the first century there are also several options within the UK. I'm not sure which group has members in that part of the UK, though.

There are some greek groups in the UK, but don't know where they host.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:To McBishop and Vindex, thanks I've actually managed to get in touch with this group since my original post. they are sending me some information . I believe they are 3rd century aux re enactors.

Excellent! Had a senior moment and couldn't remeber the group name (thank you Mike).

Look forward to seeing your impression once you are established with them :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi,

Yeah i appreciate that it is a wide spectrum, but if im honest I'd be happy to go for anything within that range (options open so they say). Obviously i couldnt do ALL the ones i want to but depending on location etc i can hopefully find at least one thats acessable.
That is very good, Liam! There are by far not enough 3rd century reenact ors out there.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:I am surprised that you have not already been press ganged by COMITATUS, but perhaps their recruiting officer is still in the tavern. :grin:
Haha! :lol:

Quote:I've seen them, but i think they are generally too far out of my travel range when looking at their events calendar.

Hi Liam – we (comitatus) are based in the North East and certainly do travel about. Indeed we have a big, and still growing list of events this year! But all our events tend to be no longer than 2 hours drive away. Some this year are a little further afield, but it depends on where you live. For some members theses events will be closer to them!

I don’t know how new to re-enactment you are, but you will find that if you want to do a variety of events then you will have to travel around quite a bit to benefit. If transport is a problem sometimes groups will help you get to events. It can also be good to find a group willing to equip you with group kit, to save on costs until you find out what you would really like to portray!

Anyway, as already mentioned we focus on the cavalry and infantry of the Later Empire but we also do gladiators and Greek shows. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about the group. Confusedmile:

If you are looking for a Greek group specifically, then there is The Hoplite Association (http://www.hoplites.org/) or Sparta Mora (http://www.sparta-mora.org/).

All the best,
Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
Quote:Had a senior moment and couldn't remeber the group name (than you Mike).
Difficult to forget: Coulston and I were in at their birth (and both featured in the video made for the Gateshead Garden Festival being attacked by an aggressive little bloke in a Roman hoodie). Only time you'll ever catch me playing dressing-up games... the ESG have tried and failed... ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I believe that the ever popular Britannia have an active northern branch. I know they appeared at Arbeia (South Shields) last year as well as the Chesters Roman festival. They are mainly Late Roman, but also participate in gladiatorial fights. And, there is no cavalry.

If you contact Britannia through their website, they can put you in touch with Mark who heads the group. (http://www.durolitum.co.uk/)
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking for a re-Enactment group in Utah horatius 5 2,622 08-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Last Post: jkaler48
  re-enactment in north wales Richard Wynne 8 2,227 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Richard Wynne
  Irish Re-Enactment Group Formed Nerva 3 1,533 04-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Alexius