Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My gladius
Here my copy of the Sisak blade. Blade made by XorX (Jürgen Graßler), grip by me, wooden parts by a Palestinian from Bethlehem. The original blade has no metallurgical report, instead the Haltern pugio alloys were used and construction based on other partially published or at least investigated contemporary blades. The blade was used in our experiments, which are published in M. Powik, Universität Augsburg, LEG XIII GEM: Die Effektivität römischer Waffen. Der Gladius, in: F. Himmler, C. Koepfer, J. Löffl, Die Römische Armee im Experiment, Berlin 2011, S.73-82.

The first set was taken with the new Macro, rest in the second post with my 18-135mm lens.

[attachment=3125]IMG_0327.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3126]IMG_0328.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3127]IMG_0329.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3128]IMG_0330.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3129]IMG_0331.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3130]IMG_0332.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3131]IMG_0333.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3132]IMG_0334.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
18-135 mm
[attachment=3133]IMG_0338.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3134]IMG_0341.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=3135]IMG_0342.jpg[/attachment]

Christian K.

Nice! I will be providing my address as soon as the scabbard is done. Or you can choose to fly me over and I can catch the gladiator exhibit after I pick up the sword.
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
Having handled this sword myself (as well as the pugio photographed in the other topic) I can say it's a real beauty, a real piece of craftmanship and a deadly weapon.

Even though these are wonderfull pictures, I think they do not fully justice to these blades. Hope I can ask Jurgen to make me some blades some day Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Nice! I will be providing my address as soon as the scabbard is done. Or you can choose to fly me over and I can catch the gladiator exhibit after I pick up the sword.
hihi... :lol: ;-)

Scabbard is finished, I just tok no pics of it... it need some refurbishing... ^^
Christian K.

Christian - that blade is a thing of great beauty and the craftsmanship is superb.

My gladius envy has just gone off the scale! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Moi, such a blade is less expensive than one would think.
If anyone is interested, I´m happy to establish contact. What I also really like about XorX is that anything I ordered either arrived right on time or early. Never late.
The sword recently posted by Kai is also from XorX.
Christian K.

PM on it's way!!!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Until 2:20 you can see the sword in action, and the forging steps.

LEG XIII

Here cutting test with a full rice mat, watered for 24 h:

[attachment=3143]DSC03689.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3144]DSC03685.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3145]DSC03657.jpg[/attachment]

Christian K.

Erm...I think you have just answered the question in my PM! LOL!!!

EDIT: I like the smile at 1:17 :wink:
Moi Watson

That was because the straw bale also fell apart.... :-) Films were made before the blade had the final sharpening.
Christian K.

Quote:That was because the straw bale also fell apart.... :-) Films were made before the blade had the final sharpening.

Confusedhock:

Ooer!
Moi Watson

beautiful sword
Jim K