Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you store your kit?
So now that I have almost a complete kit the question arises....how do you store it? After contemplating different alternatives like a hockey bag (I'm in Canada after all Confusedmile: ), a big box or just putting it under the stairs, I thought of a solution. I purchased a 3/4 torso mannequin, named him Lucius and put the kit on. It now sits in the corner of my Beatles office along with my two Technic 1200 turntables. I've never showed my kit before so here it is. Let me know what you think.

The tunic is just a XXL Tshirt to protect the torso fabric.

Kalkriese Lorica Segmentata made to fit. Needs proper fittings.
Older Deepeeka Gladius
Deepeeka Pugio
Home made balteus using plain brass and embossed plates.
Deepeeka Italic D helmet
Deepeeka caligae

I was worried that the leather interior straps would stretch due to the weight of the lorica but because it fits tightly on the torso there is plenty of support as if it were on a person.

[attachment=3170]DSC00015.JPG[/attachment]

So, I guess the question is how do you store your kit? Let's see some pictures.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Hey Jay...essentially the same as you. I made armour stands out of 4X4 with pegs for holding various pieces of gear. Any extra kit I have goes in storage bins, or in my armour room.

An older pic:
[Image: Armour-Stand.jpg]

More current:

[Image: Armoury2.jpg]

[Image: Armoury3.jpg]

Most current:

[Image: Armouryleftandcenter.jpg]

Belt looks great Jay! Looking forward to seeing it in person one day.

Legion: TBD
Cool Magnus. Great crest in the last pic! Are those brass shoulder guards on that other Lorica?

I was thinking of making one out of wood like yours but I didn't want it to be too heavy. I also wanted it to be easily movable because I have limited space. Do you find it stretches the leather straps on the Lorica hanging like that?

Antony
Jay I have about the same thing as Magnus, essentially a cross (but with two legs for added stability). I was afraid that the leather would stretch or rip also, but after being reassured by a few other RAT members, one whom I believe said his had been hanging for 10 years with no significant damage/stretching of the leather. The thread is buried from September-ish, I'll link it if I can find it
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
I've had my seggie hanging for almost 10 years...no issues with the leather, other than regular wear and tear.

Yeah, the last two plates were brass....of course there is a story behind that. A field modification of sorts....

Thanks Matt and Matt. Good to know. I thought the weight would stretch the leather.

Antony
All my metal kit (plus a few other bits) are stored indoors to prevent rusting:

[Image: SSL23402.jpg]

The chainmail is upstairs in my bedroom, along with a bronze sword and my spare gladius.

Everything else is in my workshop/garage in the cold. It can get damp there too, especially after rain.

[Image: SSL23403.jpg]

Out of shot are all my pila, javelins, spears and tent poles (behind the camera). Above is my main scuta, the one in the pic being a cheap spare destined to be stripped down this summer as a 3rd century scuta with fancy paintwork and rawhide edging. I'm hoping to keep the brass edging and maybe use it to make my own auxillary shield this summer.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Jay don't forget to keep a coat of neatsfoot oil to further prevent wear and tear to the leather
[attachment=3186]004.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-Matt
Jay, if you want, you can always run a dowel through the stand near the where the bottom girdle plate would rest, so it has more support. I have found it isn't all that necessary.

Stuff piles up doesn't it Mithras?
I do have to get some neatsfoot oil, next on my list.

Matt I don't think it's necessary as you said. The Lorica fits so tightly on the mannequin that there is plenty of support and the straps are not being pulled down by the weight.

Antony
Salve

I keep everything in my airing cupboard, that was it stays dry, especially during the damp winter months.

Vale

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Off topic, Jay is there a specific time period you are covering or are you just collecting the equipment? I was just curious about the Kalkriese and Italic D together

-Matt
Yup, I thought about that. The Kalkriese is possibly late republic to very early 1st century and the Italic D is mid to late 1st century. I'm kind of going for that middle ground but to be honest I just think the Italic D is cool and I wanted something different. Everyone seems to have the Gallic types. Although Magnus keeps pushing me to come out :lol: I probably won't get to many events and if it is an issue I can always just get another helmet or another Lorica.

Antony
Ohh the reenactment bug will get you, a year ago all I wanted was a cheap lorica segmentata and a large red polo, now I have a full military kit and am cutting out cardboard to make my own mock-up manica before I start a real one

-Matt
Hah! Mostly in a big rubbermaid container. Some things like the lorica are on a stand to keep from Effing it up, the Helms are on a shelf thing. The paenula, well I wear it sometimes , so it's rolled up on a shelf where I can get at it.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)