Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the
Quote:Certainly they are Roman Army 101, every technical director and historical consultant has to know about them, and it doesn't make sense to omit them otherwise?
I think you're making the mistake of thinking that it should make sense. You have to put yourself in the mindset of these people: It has nothing to do with sense, it's all about the cents. :roll: You're thinking logically; they, on the other hand, are not, perhaps do not even have that capacity.
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Hi, my first post in a while, for people in the UK (like me) who are waiting for the series to come out in the UK (April I believe) here are the first 5 episodes:[edited: the first five episodes can be found online for the clever searchers]

The episode number is the last number in the group, so if it says 2015, that will be episode 5, each of the episodes are split into 3 parts.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Thanks. Sorry to be a party-pooper, but it's not exactly a ten year old documentary that'll never see the light of day again. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Narukami-

I haven't seen the episode yet so I cannot speak as to how authentic it was, but the Romans did play a variety of board games. Here is a link to a page with quite a few including descriptions:

Roman Board Games

-Severus

Greetings Severus,

Great Link!

Just what I was looking for -- many thanks! Big Grin

Not certain which game they were playing in the episode but it looked like Petteia, though perhaps it was something else.

Point to you sir and thanks again.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Actually, at the 46:49 point you do see a pilum come crashing right through a scutum and skewering some poor fellow in the face.

I believe that was an arrow in the scene where Cassius gets a testudo set up.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
By the way, remember that tunic with the eagle on it? The one Edge wasn't fond of? :wink:

http://store.hbo.com/product/index.jsp? ... age=family
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Darn :evil: I thought it was gonna be a tunic.

Not nearly as snazzy as the new Legion XI- T(shameless plug). :oops:
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Rome ™. Can you trademark Rome? :lol:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes you can, but only in the same way that George Lucas can trade mark "Dark Lord" even though JRR used it long before him.

You can trade mark not the work or the title but just the style of that type font etc.

I know your kidding Jasper, but HBO would love people to think they now own Rome (or Caesar, or more to the point, Pullo and Vorenus even though they are mentioned in Caesar's commentaries).

I would guess that if we wanted to sell a tunic with an imperial eagle and the word Rome on it we could so long as it looked substantially different from HBO's. Don't know why we would want to, but we could...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Actually, at the 46:49 point you do see a pilum come crashing right through a scutum and skewering some poor fellow in the face.

Quote:I believe that was an arrow in the scene where Cassius gets a testudo set up.

Nope, pilum. It was shortly after the lines first clashed, not in the later testudo scene. Quite gory, when viewed frame by frame. Nice special effects!

rkmvca/rich klein
@Jasper, print a Imperial Eagle with under S. P. Q. R. or any Legion's Name :twisted:
Or better print Roman Army Talk, you need a line of goodies but accurate way, with help of our Professionnal salers, mug, canteen, dishes, a leather bag... Idea
Christophe (due to my job, have to keep Incognito)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cinecreatif.com/images/produits/160675-018_2.jpg-tbn">http://www.cinecreatif.com/images/produ ... _2.jpg-tbn
The Legio i choose in regard of my area from Wikipedia, seems now to told else thing, can just tell that i am interested in a 1st Century AD Legionnary, Hamata and Lorica, Coolus to Gallus Italic, best of 2 Worlds

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,858 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus