Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO\'s "Rome" to present more realistic look at the
They're having a joke on re-enactors? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Once again, "Hollywood Romans" are the order of the day.

As Vortigern points out, at least the armor is not leather. Perhaps that is a step in the right direction, though frankly, members of this site are among the very few who would even notice.

That we do take note is both our joy and our curse.

:? ( ?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I can imagine a producer, Confusedhock: "Jeez! We drop the leather, give them metal in those strips they wore, and STILL they're complaining!"

Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
All I'm going to say about the season opener without spoilers is ... that Lucius Vorenus certainly has an Anger Management problem, doesn't he?

rkmvca/rich klein
Yeah! His wife was hot! :x x x lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Despite its shortfalls, this is the series and feel, though not necessarily look, I advertise to potential recruits. They generally like the more "realistic" grungy, "old history" look of Rome than say the black tires armour of Gladiator, the leather of Passion of the Christ, and...whatever it was they wore in Ben-Hurr. Of course, I have to spend a few (or more) minutes explaining to them what's wrong, what's right, and giving Rome credit for being the most accurate portrayal to date (right?...), after which they look at me like I'm absolutely insane, which makes me think: do I scare them away then? :lol: :?

Quote:coughsixthcoughferratacough
Big Grin twisted:
...smile. Smile
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Has anyone got a certain date for when this airs in the UK? (sorry if this has already been answered.)
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Quote:One of the particular pleasures of "Rome" is that of watching something that seems made by people who have taken care to know their stuff — even the stuff they ignore in the name of making their story more like a television show than a docudrama. The historical consciousness extends to the props and costumes and sets; spread across 5 acres at Rome's Cinecittà studios, the re-created city is recognizably Italian in color and texture, rather than the shiny white neoclassical piles that form the Rome of our Hollywoodized imagination. The fact that the streets and houses all seem actually habitable makes the words actors say in them all the more convincing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAARGHH!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Well, season 2 is off to an ok start, 2 episodes out of 10 shown. I won't mention any spoilers, but they sure took tons of liberties with historical facts again. Servilia needs to go soon, she's become really annoying. I'm still waiting for the announced "going all out" for the second (and last) season. One impressive shot down from Aventine, but other than that, pretty much business as usual.
I guess the "historical consultant" Jonathan Stemp, or whatever his name is, is now coproducer as well.
Aka
Christoph
geez its getting sad! all those millions spent on nothing but rubbish.......

you know, they are airing the BBC co-prod the rise and fall of Rome in Holland at the mo... and even though there might be a lot said about the incorrectness of several uniforms etcetera........ they have and do more things Right than any other series or drama i have seen so far, apart from I claudius....

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Well,so far I'm really enjoying season 2. I do think it funny,though,that Brutus' mother,Servilla, was actually the catalyst for Caesar being murdered because she felt snubbed by him. Very exciting,much action
and we all know how it comes out.I'm trying to imagine at what point it will end. I picture in the last scene as the camera pulls back on a newly appointed Octavian becoming emperor.It may not happen at all since they'll need an older actor to play him. I can't help rooting for him over Anthony. Also, Cleo's hair has finally grown out from her Egyptian "punk"do.
I liked the comment about "mourning beards". At least someone read something whether absolutely accurate or not.
Sunday nights will be quite a bit duller when it's over.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:It may not happen at all since they'll need an older actor to play him. I can't help rooting for him over Anthony. Also, Cleo's hair has finally grown out from her Egyptian "punk"do.

They have a new actor playing Octavian for the last few episodes, it's the guy on the horse with the segmentata soldiers behind him in an earlier post on this thread.
Aka
Christoph
Indeed, an older actor will be taking over the role of Octavian (not sure at what point) so I think that Season II will take us at least to the victory at Actium, and perhaps to Octavian being named Emperor (or First Citizen as he preferred).

To go much further beyond that point is to venture into I Claudius territory and I doubt they want to do that.

I also believe that Vorinus and Pullo will end up in opposite camps (Antony and Octavian respectively) so we can follow events on both sides of the civil war, but in the end Pullo and Octavian will save Vorinus, out of the debt each owes him.

Or, at the last moment, as he is about to fall to his death, an alien space craft will swoop down and rescue him -- deus ex pythonus, or something like that. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
nope.........

he will be de-manned and will have to serve the phallic warlords.......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
did anyone happen to see the little excerpt about addiction in Rome, where the historical consultant to the film stated that the size of a normal 750 ml wine bottle was from the roman era. Because that was the amount the Romans would drink during a meal. Has anyone heard anything to support that or the smoking of opium by the patrician class.
William Summe

(Felix Agrippa)

Quando omni flunkus moritati

When all else fails, play dead

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,916 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus