Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Chemical Warfare
I teach a large program of high school Latin, and recently my Latin II students were working on projects associated with their study of Caesar's De Bello Gallico. Their task was to pick a problem or issue the Roman army of Caesar's time would have had to address, explore how the Romans dealt with it, analyze the effectiveness of the Roman solution, and explore alternative or better approaches.

One group approached attacking a walled city and came up with an interesting method that I want to cite here. I am typing exactly what the students wrote. Please remember that they are freshmen and sophomores.

In ancient Rome, there were trees called Cherry Laurel trees that when the fluids from inside the leaves and flowers were extracted, the liquid would form cyanide gas if left in an enclosed space. Nero himself knew this, since he used the cyanide found in the plant to poison people. Caesar had access to these trees and he could have utilized the cyanide.

The resources needed to make the new method of "gassing out the enemy" were few that the Romans themselves did not already use. All that would be needed was was a few catapults and clay capsules filled with the liquid from the plant. The enclosed clay capsule would have helped the liquid form into the cyanide gas. Caesar would have launched the capsule from a catapult outside the wall and the capsule would have broken against the ground. The gas that then was released from the clay would spread throughout the city, killing the people inside or driving them to leave the city, driving the enemies right into the hands of the Romans.

My question is this. Could this have worked? I was intrigued by the thinking of these students, but must confess a complete lack of knowledge about cyanide gas or cherry laurel trees. Any thoughts?
In order to be effective, cyanide gas really requires a confined space - there are, sadly, several examples. It was stockpiled for use by some of the major powers, but wasn't considered very effective. It would, however, have the virtue of low persistence (the gas is lighter than air and disperses fairly rapidly), if that was desirable and it is relatively easy to decontaminate with plain water, as it washes into the ground and is actually good for the soil!

As is fairly common knowledge, the practice of taking suicide pills of a cyanide is often ascribed to captured spies, not all of them in books - leaving that characteristic smell of almonds which the investigators, at least the fictional kind, find so easily. However, all those cases are from ingesting the liquid form in a capsule.

As a use for ancient chemical warfare, for example by the method your students suggest, it would be dangerous to those it splashed upon, or actually hit, but so would a large stone or lighted incendiary, with much less danger to the user. Any gas given off from such a liquid would be noxious, but not really more so than standing behind a dirty car exhaust (which can also contain cyanide in small doses).

Digressing a moment, early forms of what is now known as Biological Warfare, however, were commonly practised in protracted sieges throughout history; by virtue of using catapults to fling rotting animal carcasses, or even human bodies, into cities to spread disease and/or to poison water supplies.
Thank you for your thoughts. I will share this with my students today. On a related note, you mention flinging various items to spread disease. Two of my male students came up with the "Flaming Poop Catapult" idea. Their suggestion was that Roman soldiers could have saved their waste, put it in bags that were tied together and lit on fire, and then flung these bundles over a wall.

Never let anyone say that teaching high school, especially Latin, is anything other than wonderful fun!
Quote:Their suggestion was that Roman soldiers could have saved their waste, put it in bags that were tied together and lit on fire, and then flung these bundles over a wall.
Boy, those defenders will feel really foolish when they stamp out the fires! :wink:

If you can wait for Ancient Warfare magazine, Vol. VI, Issue 1 (March, 2012), there's an article on "chemical warfare" at third-century Dura-Europos.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Adrienne Mayor's book Greek Fire, Poison Arrows and Scorpion Bombs has been mentioned on RAT before because I asked about it! This may be of help to you:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...650#291582
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks for the heads up, D.B. I wil keep an eye out for that.

Vindex, I am heading to that link now. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chemical Analysis on Roman Maile Rings Jozef W 4 1,492 08-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Pop Alexandra
  Chemical warfare in Dura Europos!? Virilis 4 1,834 10-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Sassanid Chemical Warfare? Marcus_Ulpius_Trajanus 1 1,258 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering