Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with construction of spurs
Hi all , I am looking for help with regards to roman spurs , I ahave a pair of roman spurs the corbridge ones , Only problem is !!! I dont know how to mount them on either leather or would they of been fixed directly to a boot . I have only managed to find one image on the comitatus website . But cant find any others at all . Can some one point me in the rite direction to helping me construct how they should look ?
Simon Burrows.
I've been looking into various finds, and especially the almost intact ones from Xanten do suggest me these (so, at least some of them) were attached directly to the boot itself. Junkelmann however ties them onto the boots with two pieces of leather.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have drawings from Manning's book on Romano-British Ironwork (somewhere!) which show three possible versions

a) just the spur point attached directly to the boot

b) Spurs which have "arms" with holes in the end for leather or other material straps. (Like modern spurs)

c) (possibly) the spur attached via short "arms" directly to the boot in the manner of modern military dress spurs ie Mess Kit.

I'm away from my paperwork at the moment but will post the drawings from the aretfacts if required.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!