Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creative Commons: Archaeology
New buzz phrase, 'creative commons' is a new term for information that can be re-used and redistributed, that is, does not have the usual copyright restrictions.<br>
<br>
Yahoo has a new search category on this:<br>
<br>
search.yahoo.com/cc<br>
<br>
And if you put in 'archaeology' you get to this XML based library of information (among a lot of others),<br>
<br>
Open Archaeology is an XML-based repository of archaeological and related information that can be re-used and redistributed according to the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License<br>
<br>
www.openarchaeology.org/ <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 3/25/05 7:23 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
<em>information that can be re-used and redistributed, that is, does not have the usual copyright restrictions.</em><br>
<br>
Well, it depends: <em>Our licenses help you keep your copyright while inviting certain uses of your work â€â€Â
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
If not, maybe you could put them on CD-ROM? That would allow addition of color photos and translations as well, although babelfish online translations are available, they seem to get really confused when they find Latin and Greek terms in a German text, for example. <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
<em>If not, maybe you could put them on CD-ROM? That would allow addition of color photos and translations as well, although babelfish online translations are available, they seem to get really confused when they find Latin and Greek terms in a German text, for example.</em><br>
<br>
Unfortunately that all takes time and (lots of) money and these are commodities I lack spectacularly. The online <em>JRMES</em> volumes will be in searchable PDF format (so they are not just scanned images of the pages). This makes getting the earlier volumes ready very labour-intensive as only the text exists in digital form - all the illustrations were pasted up, so to get the halftones ready they have to be scanned from the printed page at high resolution, subjected to a gaussian blur, resampled to a reasonable resolution, have the gamma adjusted, then dropped into the page (effectively reversing the 'screening' process that turns a continuous tone photo into a series of dots). The text then has be shoehorned in so that it fits the pagination exactly as in the original printed volume (and different DTP programs handle word and letter-spacing in different ways). These days, all my books get made as PDFs before being sent to the printers, but back then things were different!<br>
<br>
Of course, this all assumes that the authors and illustration copyright-holders agree to their respective material being made available in this way. Future volumes of <em>JRMES</em> will probably have to require that authors agree to eventual digital publication as a condition of publication to avoid this whole rights mess.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thread continues in New Roman Army Talk <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?