Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! Need pointers from the pros!
Hey guys, im new here the name is Leon. I am part of a medieval role playing group which bases all of its cultures off of real world history. For months now I have been preparing to portray a Roman Legionnaire but I want to make sure its 100% in period. The issue I am having here is that I am having trouble weeding through all this knock off armor. Im willing to spend the money but I really want to buy the perfect suit of Lorica, can someone point me in the direction of an armor vendor or smith that will make me quality lorica that will hold up and be of perfect quality and look?
hi, Leon welcome on the forum. To do a roman imression is not that easy the span of roman live is about several centurys. So al republican soldier looks different from a flavian and even more a late roman soldier. It is not yust the segmentata (mostly around 1 to 150 AD) so the rest af the kit has to be of thar era to. but if you google on roman armour there are enough suppliers for roman armour on the web.
Have fun on the forum and good hinting and study for the kit.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I know the culture is based a lot off the bizintine era so it would prob be early roman era. I have seen some guys buy some crappy lorica and I have seen some decent sets. I am planning on eventally having Matt make me a suit but the wait list is 18 months long! So I need a vendor that is going to be decent for the price, not looking for the cheap knock off crap.
Deepeeka makes a decently priced off-the shelf pretty accurate segmentata...

Legion: TBD
Yup, what Magnus said. Also, check out Leg XX's website, they have a list on how to MAKE all of this stuff, it's not as complicated as it seems, just takes time and diligence. Also has a great list of acceptable and not-acceptable stuff that's out there.

The good news is that many of the items can be modified to fit and look better, ie the Deepeeka segmentata won't fit everyone well, and the leather harness straps may fall apart before too long, but they are fairly easy to replace (again, just time and effort)

www.larp.com/legioxx.html

I've always nudged my fellow members in Leg. III Cyrenaica to make their own belts, which is also pretty easy to do. Buckles are tricky, even for me, but people like Raymond's Quiet Press and Clang Armory are affordable and really good. Grab some thin brass sheet at a hobby store or online, and a nail-set, and you can punch designs into belt plates in a weekend.

Also, please please do not be offended, but your icon image is from the Museum Replicas catalog of the Worst Piece Of S--segmentata Ever Constructed. I say this because that was the first armor I wore and it was an awful experience. It took like 3 people to hold me down and tie me into that thing, and I had very limited flexibility. No, really. Big Grin ...Plates were thick enough to be bullet proof, corners/edges stuck into areas of my body that were not acceptable, etc...

Everything Greek/"Spartan" and Roman in that catalog is total Junk. Not even worth the price for display, if you're trying for accuracy.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I've owned a Deepeeka segmentata for about a year now, and you cannot get a more accurate piece for $250. Not to say the Deepeeka model is perfect by any means. it has some minor flaws Deepeeka was working out, such as the lesser shoulder guards being slightly too long or the having the brass tie loops slightly out of place, little things. The armor is overall comfortable and offers decent flexibility. I have a 42" chest and a 34" waist and the armor has a little more room, definitely take size into consideration. It can be ordered in a larger size, but you'll have to talk to a vendor about that.

DSC offers a segmentata that has the issues corrected from the Deepeeka model as I understand it: http://daniyalsteelcrafts.blogspot.com/2...ad-30.html

Anything else and you'll have to have it custom made
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt