Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
90mm Greek Figures
From time to time I paint these little toy soldiers - sometimes I do it for clients - sometimes I do it for me. Here are a couple of my figures. I have recently ordered another hoplite from Greece (eBay) and will post the results after I finish. :wink:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Your models are great Wink
Don't know if i'm right but i like the Thessalian one, the colours you choose and the attitude are excellent !

Look forward to see more of your painting productions.

Thank you to share it
Sebastien THIRIET

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Blog on history (FR):
http://unehistoirepourtous.over-blog.com/
Thanks. I really need a lot of magnification help while doing these - and very small brushes!! The latest hasn't arrived yet, but I'll start painting it the minute it does.
Bill
Yes, this is a real passion when you start working on it, i know what you have in mind when you said : "I'll start painting it the minute it does."
We really begin to be obsessional when the models arrive !

I don't use magnification help when i do some 90mm, but for other sizes, i agree with you, it's needed.

If you have some other pictures about your work, i will be happy to see it.
I have posted my work on RAT concerning the 90mm on the greek figures, it would be nice to have your opinion about it Wink
Sebastien THIRIET

Blog on history (FR):
Yes, the Daemon must arrive, else the effort is futile! I'd love to see your stuff, but since I am a ciber-retard, could you tell me the specific location on RAT that I could find your work? :wink:

The real need for magnification for me concerns things such as material embellishments (edgings, etc.) and facial detailing.

Years ago, I did a bunch of the war gaming-sized figures (20mm???) - most are Greeks and Egyptians. I did an Egyptian chariot I am very pleased with, as I had to fabricate 99% of the figure from total scratch. I'll try to get some photos of the little ones later.
Bill
Quote:Years ago, I did a bunch of the war gaming-sized figures (20mm???) - most are Greeks and Egyptians. I did an Egyptian chariot I am very pleased with, as I had to fabricate 99% of the figure from total scratch. I'll try to get some photos of the little ones later.

The work you did from scratch, is always a great thing, because of the technique that is require to do this, all sizes confused.
Yeah concerning the embellishments, i do agree it needs a really attention, and a lot of time Wink

The link concerning my work is : http://www.ancient-warfare.org/rat.html?...&id=301569

I never start an army in the 20mm size and others, but i continue to work on other sizes : 75 mm and more... and always love to make the environments.
I'm pleased to speak with you about it on this forum.
Sebastien THIRIET

Blog on history (FR):
Very nice Polemarch! Is that the Pegaso model? I have been contemplating doing that one myself. Your environs are very well executed! :!:

A few years back, I did a commissioned piece for a friend in Ft. Worth, TX, who actually entered it in a national miniatures competition in Florida. I was surprised to hear "we" won an honorable mention (my first attempt at such a thing). :grin:

I'm dusting the cobwebs off the little army pieces now, but I'll post pictures once I get them to cooperate. :roll:
Bill
OK! I finally dug out some of the little guys! I put a quarter next to them for scale. I painted these back in the '70s, so I wasn't really concerned back then about quality for gaming pieces.

The chariots and Egyptian-ish accoutrement (standards, quivers, etc.) were all scratch-built, as very little Egyptian stuff was even offered back then.

As you can see, one of the bearers was never finished. The Greek cavalry pieces were among the first pieces I ever painted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Hehe, quite sympathetic to present those pieces Wink.
I like how you did the egyptians stuffs (ensign ...), as i said i never try to work on this size, and i still think that it wouldn't be easy to make it.

Quote:As you can see, one of the bearers was never finished. The Greek cavalry pieces were among the first pieces I ever painted.

I have conserved my first pieces i ever painted myself, and it's always good to see those, and remember from where we came.

Quote:I was surprised to hear "we" won an honorable mention (my first attempt at such a thing).

You received some good result at a competition ? Really good, and the pieces you present at the top of this topic are of qualities, and i think that you surely deserved it Wink

Quote:Very nice Polemarch! Is that the Pegaso model? I have been contemplating doing that one myself. Your environs are very well executed!

Thank you, you're right this is the pegaso model, and i have made from scratch the persian guy on the ground. Thank you, concerning the environment i think it's an important part of the scene, and try as more as possible to make something of quality.
It was a nice piece to work on it... i liked to paint it so much Wink
And like you i received some rewards at various competitions.
Sebastien THIRIET

Blog on history (FR):
I figured the Persian was scratch, as I can't imagine one of the companies creating a figure in such a position, unless it was for a diorama. Very nice work indeed! What did you use to fabricate the wall? Also, do you know a decent source for flora, lichen and the like?
Bill
Concerning the wall i took some little stones that i found (original for a wall isn't it ? Smile). And i assembled it piece by piece, and try to make it the more "archaic" and accurate as possible. After that i painted it with some brown, green, beige and gray washing and painting.

Concerning the flora i used to take some part of my own garden. (when i was near the nature), like barks crumbled, the sand to create some materials. After that for the flora itself as a vegetable i try to used flocking in some little surfaces, and more plastic stalk when i have no choice.

I like collect anythings that i found interesting and keep them in small boxes in waiting to use them for a diorama... probably a weird habit !!
Sebastien THIRIET

Blog on history (FR):
This is starting to sound like "true confessions of the model nerd-types"! :twisted: I do the same thing - I have the best "junk drawer" in the entire world - it has never failed to produce the very "thing" I need at the time. I have stuff that was collected over 45 years ago and is still awaiting the need.
Bill
Read your PM's 'Katsika'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, I got my new Pegaso 90mm hoplite in from Athens today. It took a bit of time to get here, as I hear there was a postal strike to resolve over there. I have, however, already "put quite a dent" in the work to paint and assemble it. I won't post any pictures yet, but I am encouraged by the results so far. I'll keep you posted! :wink:
Bill
Look forward to have some news about it, sooner as possible !
Good luck with this new model Wink
Sebastien THIRIET

Blog on history (FR):

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Legatus 90mm periklis_sale 6 2,286 02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Last Post: periklis_sale
  12" Roman and Greek figures by Ignite Peroni 3 2,142 09-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Come in Nighthawk