Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale Armor & Accuracy
Quote:Markus
I have tried since long to see if I can get the measurements for the scles unfortunatelly to no avail. Mr. Barbulescu didn't publish the piece as stand alone but in a monograph so info not enough. people that saw the piece told me tat the scales are small 1cm/0.5 cm but is just an "eyemetric" measurement
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
There are several depictions of scale armor where the bottom is a straight edge or a scalloped edge consisting of either one row
or two rows of scallops (The Sertorii stelas). On the Adamclissi Metopes, the edges of squamata are also straight. On the Ludovisi
sarcophagus, the scale shirt ends in the same shape as a musculata followed by typical scallops added on the lower edges of musculata.

Is there evidence of other lower edges instead of the typical ones descirbed above? For example, a Van Dyke edge (Edges that end
in triangles).

I was looling for evidence in the 1st and 2nd C AD.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Just as an interesting note. I came across this Baldenheim helmet from the 5th/6th Century. Interestingly enough the edge stitching still remains on the pieces cheek plates. It is exactly the same as the scale edging from Duros with the over lapping intersecting binding. It obviously worked since it was still being done 200+ years later!

[attachment=8339]CheekPieceedging.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Where at page one of this topic where there has been discussion about the amount of overlap of scales, I have to agree with Jurjenius that such side links of scales do not need to be overlapped.
For what is happening is where one might have a 30 mm scale being overlapped by 50 % that creates a more rigid set of armour where all that is needed is to have enough overlap that covers the stitching of the scales to the garment, and as has been mentioned by Jurgenius less scales are needed and gives added flexibility to the armour and so helping the soldier with better movement.
Brian Stobbs
Guys, thread necromancy:

Did locking scale armours (the ones that should be fastened by wires) have linen backing?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Even if they didn't need it to suspend the armor, it was still useful for protecting your body from the hot scales.
There were some posts on here about fit a few pages back, so I hope this question isn't too late -

Is it possible to make the scale armour fit around the waist with side openings? I intend to make a new scale harness soon but with side openings, and ties set in from the edge a fair distance for overlapping the parts at the side. Will this setup still allow the narrow waist / broad chest look?

Thanks
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Quote:it was still useful for protecting your body from the hot scales.

or from chaffing the skin when moving. I also found with the armor that I made (although not locking scale) the linen backing provided further stability and "stretch"/give to the armor that IMO would assist in its protective abilities.

Quote:s it possible to make the scale armour fit around the waist with side openings? I intend to make a new scale harness soon but with side openings, and ties set in from the edge a fair distance for overlapping the parts at the side. Will this setup still allow the narrow waist / broad chest look?

See images of the reproduction on page 7. It certainly is do-able. However if you make the edging in the known way with the interlocking leather throng, it makes the edge quite thick. An over lap would be bulky, but I guess possible.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Guys, thread necromancy:

Did locking scale armours (the ones that should be fastened by wires) have linen backing?

Hi,

I laced removable leather cover inside my armour to protect the textile wore under it (those little wires have sharp pointy endings).
During years I found the only area where a locking scale armour structurally needs some sthrengthening is the shoulder area (where the scales run horizontally instead of diagonally) so I put leather backing under the shoulder scales to relieve stress from the wires but it really depends on the construction method of your cuirass. Since there is no evidence how the romans made the shoulder/neck area you can experiment freely. Smile

Hope that helped.
Valete,

József Janák
Miles Gregarius
Legio I Adiutrix
Pannoniciani Seniores
Brigetio, Pannonia
Quote:Since there is no evidence how the romans made the shoulder/neck area you can experiment freely. Smile
Oh yes there is. The Carlisle Millennium armour comes from the shoulder/neck are of a semi-rigid cuirass, whilst the Carpow cuirass includes both textile backing and leather neck binding from flexible scale. Both of these have been published.*

Mike Bishop

*Wild, J. P. (1981): 'A Find of Roman scale armour from Carpow', Britannia 12, 305-6
Coulston, J. C. N. (1999) in . Dore, J. N. & Wilkes, J. J. (eds.), 'Excavations directed by J.D Leach and J.J Wilkes on the site of a Roman fortress at Carpow, Perthshire, 1964-79', Proceedings of the Society of Antiquities of Scotland 129 561-6
Bishop, M. C. (2009): 'The body armour' in C. Howard-Davis, The Carlisle Millennium Project: Excavations in Carlisle, 1998-2001, Volume 2: The Finds Oxford, 687-705
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I think there's also one from Kunzig that's in a "Gorget" shape.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman scale armor Vexillation 7 2,258 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Last Post: FarDarter
  Scale Armor with sleeves... markusaurelius 9 4,263 05-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Scale armor reconstruction lup_alb 2 1,806 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Last Post: lup_alb